Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got my first Milk Street Mag
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:50 pm 

Anybody else get one? Any thoughts? I like what I saw, though I only glanced at it on my lunch break. More later.

Update - I saw a couple of these recipes on their website, but some more in here that I definitely want to make. A Thai coleslaw (as always, any Thai recipes catch my eye); a Chinese greens dish, calling for chard, but I'll use one of the others I have growing out there; and a delicious sounding harissa recipe, in which the fried chiles and garlic make it sound like will have some of that distinctive flavor that I love so much in nam prik pao. I would have tried the new method of making pie crust for my butterscotch pumpkin pie, but I didn't have any sour cream (one of the ingredients) on hand. There's even more, but these are the ones I want to make soon.

Post subject: Re: Got my first Milk Street Mag
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 am 

still waiting to get my copy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:05 pm 

Dave, did you ever try that pie crust? I made two pies last week using the CI vodka recipe and they were just not that tender or flaky. I'm looking for a new one. I also have problems with the bottom being soggy. I make mostly fruit pies and wonder if I should blind bake them, first, I never have.

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:09 pm 

Check out the crust recipe from the Hoosier Mama Book of Pies. Any pie article at Epicurious by Sam Worley should link to it, since he used to work there. I work there now, but can't be arsed to scale the recipe down from 13.5# of flour, etc. at the moment. It's all butter, and works very well. We freeze the crusts and then blind bake them, then dust the bottoms with 50/50 sugar/flour "crust dust" before adding the fruit. People seem to approve.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:43 pm 

Thanks Becky! I'm going to try that.

Karen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 am 

I think it's really worth it to get some leaf lard for pie making.
I have some in my freezer that's been there for years, it never goes bad.
I gave some to a friend who's a pie-baking fiend and she said it made the best crust she'd ever made.
I'm not a frequent pie maker by any means but when I do I use the CI vodka crust with a small amount of the leaf lard and it is excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:41 am 

Yeah, I think the best crusts I make are half lard/half butter. I use the recipe from Serious Eats.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:54 pm 

I agree about the SE crust with half lard/half butter. It is so good. I got the leaf lard from 2 ladies on Etsy. It came wrapped ready for the freezer and the shipping was super reasonable. I do have a note to not bake it as long as SE recommends for a blind bake. No problems with one bake ones.

I have also had success with the all butter vodka crust by actually following the directions (I usually don't) and stopping blending before I thought I should. Everything super cold. I keep butter in the freezer and put the blade and the vodka in the freezer as well before starting. I keep my rolling mat wrapped around my rolling pin in the fridge. I finally got a good rolling pin and I think it as made a difference, pushing with the back of my hand instead of my fingers.

I am stating the obvious because I've always been afraid of pies and considered myself a good bread and cake maker and a lousy pie maker. I can now make good crust, the only reason to eat pie imho.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:46 pm 

The pie crust recipe in the Milk Street charter issue was the first thing I tried when it arrived a few months back, and it was an epic fail. Among other things it shrunk terribly. In fact I had to pitch it. My go-to crust recipe has been half lard/half butter for years, using Kenji's Easy Pie Dough FP recipe. Even though it still slumps sometimes (esp. if I use an Emile Henry dish) it's always deliciously flakey. And that's a hoot that you found lard on Etsy, Alina. I'll have to check that out once I go through the lard from Pennsylvania that's in my freezer. It'll be quite a while, though. The shipping on that has always been the expensive part so I order like 20 pounds at a time. Needless to say I get some :roll: whenever family members happen to see it in my garage freezer.

Emilie