Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: coast of maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:43 pm 

I know this is 6 months in advance but that's what I do ;). We've started planning our mid September 1-week road trip to the coast of Maine. Our thoughts are to spend 2 nights in Portland, 2 in the Blue Hill area, and 2 in Boothbay Harbor. We stayed in Boothbay last time we were in ME but that was a lifetime ago, in 1992. Any recommendations for inexpensive restaurants and lodging in and around those areas would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Nance

Post subject: Re: coast of maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:15 pm 

Paging Sabine...

We last stayed in Boothbay in 1998 so we don't have much better information than you'd have. Of course you have your lobster pounds. Going way back to the 1970s I remember the Lobster Dock (or a lobster place at that location) on Atlantic Avenue across the harbor footbridge from downtown. http://www.thelobsterdock.com/ As far as I can tell the waterfront B&B we stayed at on Mill Point is no longer in business.

Red's Eats is a lobster roll and hot dog stand at the end of the bridge in Wiscasset that always seems to have a crowd, if you're into that.

On US 1 headed up to Rockland, Moody's diner has been there forever. Maybe that says something. http://www.moodysdiner.com/

Sabine should be able to tell you everything you need to know about Portland.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:15 am 

Since Boothbay Harbor is a resort village with a short season, lodging will only be inexpensive when compared to the Spruce Point Inn. We have stayed at The Rocktide and its location on the harbor next to the Lobster Dock makes it a very convenient for a harbor centered two night stay. Don’t spend extra for a room with harbor view because it is very deep in the harbor. I believe pricing to be fairly moderate by BBH standards

If the lodging is expected to be part of the vacation experience and not just a roof, I have always been intrigued by the Ocean Point Inn, but have never stayed there. Not actually in Boothbay Harbor but only a short drive to East Boothbay. Have had some satisfying meals in their restaurant over the years.

For lodging that is convenient to BBH but not near the water, The Flagship Inn has been there forever and looks like an attractive property as a drive by, but I have never stayed there.

Eat at iconic restaurants if you are in BBH for the lobster. They have figured out how to survive giving good value year after year. Last years new restaurant may not be there next year. The Lobster Dock is as good a place as any for lobster and other seafood delights and Robinson’s Wharf is worth the drive to Southport for a little less hectic dock experience.

No matter where you stay or what you eat when on the Boothbay Peninsula, one thing that is absolutely not to be missed is the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden.

Also on the Coastal Drive East from Portland
LeRoux Kitchen in Portland
Now You're Cooking, A Cook's Emporium
The Well Tempered Kitchen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:32 pm 

Thank you so very much Pete and Jim!

I've booked our hotels in each area and did in fact book the Flagship Inn for our stay in Boothbay Harbor, and did so before your recommendation so I feel validated about that decision. Last time we stayed in BBH we were in both East Boothbay and West Boothbay (1 wk each), one a B&B and the other at Smugglers Cove (now known as Sunset Beach). Right now many places are still closed for the season and the prices at the Flagship, and the wonderful customer service, sealed the deal. Especially since we'll only be in each area for 2 nights. And we're definitely only in our rooms as a roof.

We've been to Moody's Diner and will probably stop again. The-Best-BlueberryPie-Ever. Robinson's Wharf was our go-to when we were in BBH for dinner.

We're really looking forward to this trip and are picking up 4 more books from the library this weekend. I guess you can tell this harsh winter has really gotten to us (mostly me) and I needed something to look forward to besides just warm weather.

At least accomodations are done. And the Botanical Gardens are a definite. I still welcome any other recommendations. Many thanks again!

Nance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:09 am 

Maybe less than an hour away from Boothbay Harbor is Pemaquid Point. If your schedule allows, it's worth a stop. There's a great blueberry pancake house near the lighthouse (not sure its name.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:23 pm 

*Bump*. The journey begins this Saturday. Any other recommendations will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm 

I so wish I could help. Have a great time! I'm thinking Maine next summer if I can get Renee (from TOBB) to join me and go stay at Sabine's new guesthouse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:36 pm 

Wish we had a *like* feature here - Tx Jean. I'll report in if we have any share-worthy experiences, which we're counting on ;) .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 pm 

Sabine's guest house is awesome, you will love it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm 

If you take 295 through Portland, you will find Trader Joe's and Whole Foods about two blocks apart off the Franklin Street Exit. Since selling wine in grocery stores is much too dangerous for New Yorkers, TJ's is usually a must stop even if it the only place in Portland I stop.

Micucci Grocery is worth a visit if you are wandering the surface streets of Portland.

We have enjoyed The Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland if you are headed east on a day trip.

If you are in Boothbay on Thursday, the Farmers Market is worth a visit.

Food related shops in Boothbay Harbor that are worth visiting include Oak Street Provisions and, Eventide Specialties.

If lobster is not on the menu, Ports of Italy is capable of providing much better than average dining experience.