Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savory Cheesecake
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:13 pm 

In the 80's (maybe into the 90's) savory cheesecakes were in vogue. Now, it seems, they are making a comeback, as my daughter tells me. I remember making one with different layers...pine nuts, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, etc. But the only recipe I could find in my files is one with pine nuts, pesto, red peppers. I know I that one was very popular, but wonder if anyone out there has any other recipes they love(d).

Post subject: Re: Savory Cheesecake
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:34 am 

Highly rated by WP reviewers.
From The Washington Post featuring Yotam Ottolenghi

Eggplant Cheesecake by Deb Lindsey for The Washington Post; tableware from Crate and Barrel WEEKNIGHT VEGETARIAN OCT 15, 2014

This savory, rich dish is heaven as a large square for lunch, with greens and perhaps bread. It also works well sliced into smaller pieces for nibbles before supper. If you'd like to cut back on the fat, you could halve the amount of oil you brush on the eggplant.
Make Ahead: The cheesecake can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Where to Buy: Za'atar, a spice blend that typically includes thyme, sesame and sumac, can be found in some larger grocery stores, at Middle Eastern or Mediterranean markets and online.
• 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
• 2 medium eggplants, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices (1 1/2 pounds total)
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled into large chunks
• 5 ounces cream cheese
• 3 large eggs
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup grape tomatoes, each cut in half lengthwise
• 1/3 cup oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
• 1 1/2 teaspoons za'atar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line the base and sides of a deep 7 1/2-inch square baking pan (or an 8-inch round baking pan) with aluminum foil, making the pieces large enough so that at least 2 inches hangs over each of the four sides, and brush with a little oil.
Lay the eggplant slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with 1/4 cup of the olive oil (see headnote). Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, until the eggplant slices are soft and golden. Set aside to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Combine the feta, cream cheese, eggs, cream and some black pepper in a bowl and beat with a hand-held mixer until smooth and thick. It might take several minutes to eliminate all the lumps from the feta.
Arrange the eggplant slices in the prepared baking pan, overlapping them if necessary. Add the tomatoes, using them to fill any gaps, and sprinkle with half of the oregano.
Pour the cream mixture into the pan, sprinkle with the remaining oregano and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until the custard sets and turns golden. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
Remove the cake from the pan and cut into 4 squares (or into wedges, if using a round dish). Mix the za'atar with the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil, brush this gently over the top and sides of the cake, and serve.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:24 am 

I know I’ve made ones with smoked salmon and diced red onion, served with bagel chips, but I have no idea where that recipe is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Seems like you could make something savory based on the Basque Burnt Cheesecake.

Like: omit the sugar, increase the flour somewhat. Add 1 head soft-roasted garlic, and grate a hard smoked cheese into the mix. Add a bunch of minced herbs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:04 pm 

That sounds good, Fuzzy! I remember making a lot of cheese custards, back in the era of the quiche - in the 70s into the 80s.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 am 

Thanks to everyone; I appreciate all these ideas!