Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: English muffins from Washington Post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 am 

I am assuming all of you aren't dead. Let's find out!

I copied the recipe so you don't have password issues.
------------------------------------------------------------
These no-knead English muffins are chock-full of the nooks and crannies so many of us adore in the breakfast staple. A fairly wet dough and a long overnight rise contribute to the signature texture as well. Whole-wheat flour and a little honey make for a tender, flavorful interior.

This recipe requires nothing in the way of special equipment. It is simply stirred together in a bowl, dropped onto a baking sheet and griddled on cast-iron. There's no need for rings to cook the dough, as it holds it shape well.

Make Ahead: The dough needs to rise at room temperature for 4 to 5 hours. The shaped muffins then rise for 12 to 48 hours in the refrigerator. Store the cooked muffins in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature, a month in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.

SERVINGS:
Tested size: 12 servings; makes 12 muffins

INGREDIENTS
2 cups (285 grams) bread flour
1 cup (142 grams) whole-wheat flour
2 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, preferably Diamond Crystal (may substitute half as much table salt by volume)
1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast (not rapid-rise)
1 1/2 cups (355 milliliters) cold milk (any percentage)
1/4 cup (100 grams) honey
1 large egg white, cold
1 cup (142 grams) fine cornmeal, for dusting
2 tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter, bacon fat or oil, plus more as needed
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, whisk together the bread flour, whole wheat flour, kosher salt and yeast until well combined. Add the milk, honey and egg white, stirring with a flexible spatula until smooth, about 5 minutes. The dough will be fairly wet but elastic, and will start to come together into a ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a plate (or transfer to a lidded container) and set aside at room temperature (70 degrees) for 4 to 5 hours, until the dough is spongy, light and has more than doubled in size. (The timing is flexible depending on your schedule.)

Generously cover a large, rimmed baking sheet with an even layer of cornmeal (you may use about half to three-quarters of it). With a large spoon, dollop out a dozen 2 2/3-ounce (75 grams) portions of dough; it's perfectly fine to do this by eye. If you'd like, pinch the irregular blobs with slightly dampened fingers to tidy their shape. Sprinkle with additional cornmeal, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 12 to 48 hours.

Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. (If you have an electric griddle, preheat it to 325 degrees.) When it's sizzling-hot (check by sprinkling a few small drops of water), add half the butter and melt. Griddle the muffins until their bottoms are golden brown, about 8 minutes, rotating each muffin 180 degrees halfway through so the outer edges are moved to the center for even browning. Flip with a square-end spatula and griddle until the other side is golden brown as well. Depending on the size of your skillet or griddle, you may have to cook the muffins in batches, adding 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet each time. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack until cool enough to handle, then split the muffins by working your thumbs around the edges to pull them open a little at a time. Toast before serving.

Rate it
RECIPE SOURCE
Adapted from a recipe by Stella Parks at Serious Eats.

Tested by Becky Krystal.

Post subject: Re: English muffins from Washington Post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 am 

Thanks, Wino. I saw the article but it wouldn't let me past the paywall. Copied and saved.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:52 am 

SS - I'd be happy to share login. PM me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 pm 

Nice I baked a loaf of King Arthur’s English muffin bread today. Surprisingly, it did not get much oven spring. I will just have to make another loaf in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

We may have to make our own muffins once our supply runs out. We're more likely to do sourdough ones, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 am 

Thanks Wino! I've been eyeing the one that the baking steel has on their website but this sounds good as I have a recently expired bag of ww flour that i'm trying to get through asap. Wonder if I can use boxed egg whites? I have a ton of those and eggs are too precious to waste these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:36 am 

I made these the other day. The taste was great but, and this was a real PIA, getting them from the sheet into the skillet was next to impossible. The dough was still too wet and I ended up having to scoop them and reshape in the skillet. My 1st rise was 5 hrs and fridge rise was 14.
I’m trying them again today and will let them rise longer, especially the fridge rise. And since our weather is still freakin cold, I can store them on our back porch overnight and not have to worry about precious fridge space.
TBC

My pic is too large to upload here. I’ll try from another source. I posted on our FB page if anyone wants to take a look at before and after.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:55 pm 

thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:52 pm 

Update on these: 2nd time was a big winner!!! I proofed 6 hrs (stored in a cold oven), shaped using a 1/3 cup measure, placed on a large sheet pan generously coated with cornmeal, and let them sit in the fridge 16-17 hrs. I learned that cornmeal is an absolute must and you should use the amounts as suggested. The first time I couldn't find any cornmeal so subbed whole wheat breadcrumbs = not even close. This time I could only get white cornmeal and that didn't seem to make a difference.

They were much easier to form (longer fridge time + cornmeal probably the key) and transferred easily to the skillet. It was still tricky to keep them from burning too quickly but it's like crepes - the first couple are experiments. Everyone who tried them LOVED them.

These are keepers!!!