Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morel mushrooms
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm 

My grandson came home with a grocery bag full of Morels. Anybody have a recipe to recommend?
fitzie

Post subject: Re: Morel mushrooms
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 pm 

I don't have one personally, but know a few people here have mentioned Ina Garten's morels and chicken breast recipe as being excellent. What a nice grandson.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:10 am 

Thanks, Jean. I'll look it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 am 

This is my version of my favorite morel recipe - it is fantastic!

Chicken with Morels
Copyright 2004, Barefoot in Paris, All Rights Reserved (altered by Bill Oehler, Oct. 15, 2012)
Prep Time: 6 min
Inactive Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serves: 6 servings
Ingredients
• 1- ounce dried morels, soaked for 30 minutes in 3 cups very hot water
• 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1⁄8 cup clarified butter
• 1⁄3 cup chopped shallots (2 large)
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
• 1 cup Madeira wine
• 1 cup (8 ounces) crème fraîche (to make: to 1 cup whipping cream add 1 T buttermilk, stir gently and store at room temperature in covered glass or plastic container for 24 hours)
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Lift the morels carefully from the hot water in order to leave any grit behind in the liquid. Rinse a few times to be sure all the grittiness is gone. Strain liquid through very fine mesh & reserve for soup or sauce another day. Dry morels lightly with paper towels and cut length wise into quarters or eighths depending upon size. Set aside.

Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat half the clarified butter in a large sauté pan and cook the chicken in 2 batches over medium heat until browned on both sides, 4 min. per side. Remove to an ovenproof casserole, uncovered.

Add the rest of the clarified butter to the pan along with the shallots, drained morels, and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes, tossing and stirring constantly. Add Madeira and reduce the liquid by half over high heat, 2 to 4 minutes. Add crème fraîche, cream, & lemon juice. Boil over medium heat until the mixture starts to thicken, 16-20 minutes. After about 12 minutes, remove 1 cup of liquid, separate into equal portions, let cool for 5 minutes, add 2 level teaspoons cornstarch to one portion and stir in thoroughly, add second portion of cool liquid to first, stir thoroughly and slowly add this back into the main sauce, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until thickening does not progress (about 5 minutes). Either pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 12 minutes, covered or until the chicken is heated through. Or, to make ahead, refrigerate the chicken and sauce in the casserole and reheat slowly on top of the stove 30 minutes before serving.

Notes: Over time, I have modified this quite a bit.
1. I cut off the 'tail' end of each breast so that I am using primarily the ‘squarish’ middle portion. (Save the 'tails' for chicken soup or whatever.) I quarter the remaining middle, salt & pepper and rest this at least 20 minutes.
2. I don't use any breading.
3. I don't clarify the butter (with all of the other ingredients involved it's not noticeable).
4. I quickly lightly brown the cubed chicken. Her method results in a very dry breast. Mine are still raw in the middle when I'm at this stage.
5. I make the sauce separately and thicken it at the end with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch by removing 1 cup of sauce that I let cool slightly, add cornstarch to it, and slowly add back to the rest of the sauce.
6. I use tagliatelle as I find the rice absorbs the sauce and it’s more attractive.
7. I add the chicken back into the sauce to finish it over a simmer.
8. I make my own crème fraîche as we don’t have any in this area.
9. I serve in a very wide brimmed, deep bowl by Maxwell & Williams (hotel ware) with shaved truffle-infused pecorino atop.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:15 pm 

Thank you, Wino, that sounds delicious. Jean, is this the recipe you referred to?
fitzie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm 

Fitzie, I have no idea, sorry....I just remembered Alina and others, maybe Wino, raving about that dish. I'm not a mushroom person so never looked into it. It sounds really good though, although I'd skip the morels. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 am 

Hi Fitzie, yes that is basically my favorite chicken breast recipe. The sauce is fabulous, leftover sauce is perfect for use over pasta so I would recommend doubling everything for the sauce except the morels. I am posting the recipe with my adaptations to the original. The comments are from the very first time I made it.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CHICKEN WITH MORELS***** Servings: 6

One of the best chicken dishes ever. DH kept saying just how good the sauce was. I think I over reduced it, but it was great. I ended up baking it in the Emile Henry, because I could use it on top of the stove, oven and then reheat in the microwave. I refrigerated it, and ended up reheating on the stove top. Not a great idea, since I put it on high to get the simmer going, but left to help DH with his Windows 7 install, and it was going strong when I remembered to return to lower the heat. The sauce reduced even more. It tasted great but DH had hoped to have more sauce for the rice. I had saved the morel liquid (thanks Tim) and just added about 3/4 cup to the pot and heated it. My 6 Costco breasts were big I seared and baked them whole, but cut them into quarters for the second reheat, so we have two more meals. This is definitely going to be one of my company dishes since it can be made the night before. I am going to try for us using the Costco wild mix (sans morels which I picked out) the next time. Can sub 3 TBS. butter + 1 TBS. vegetable oil for the clarified butter.

Oven Temperature: 375°F

Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes Inactive Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

1 oz. dried morels -- soaked for 30 minutes in 3 cups very hot water
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup All-purpose flour -- for dredging
¼ cup clarified butter
1/3 cup chopped shallots (2 large)
1 TBS. minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 cup Madeira wine
1 cup Crème Fraîche (8 ounces) I make my own.
1 cup heavy cream
2 TBS. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Soak morels for 30 minutes in 3 cups of very hot water. A large French press works very well to keep the morels under water.

Preheat the oven to 375° F.

Lift the morels carefully from the hot water in order to leave any grit behind in the liquid but do not discard the liquid. Rinse a few times to be sure all the grittiness is gone, and dry the morels lightly with paper towels. Cut the Morels into pieces. Set aside. Use paper towels or coffee filters to remove any grit left in the morel water and reserve for later use.

Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. If very thick, cut the breasts in half horizontally. Dredge them in flour and shake off the excess. Heat half the clarified butter in a large sauté pan and cook the chicken in 2 batches over medium-low heat until browned on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to an ovenproof casserole.

Add the rest of the clarified butter to the pan along with the shallots, drained morels, and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes, tossing and stirring constantly. Pour the Madeira into the pan and reduce the liquid by half over high heat, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the Crème Fraîche , cream, lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, and ¾ tsp. pepper. Boil until the mixture starts to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through. To make ahead, refrigerate the chicken and sauce in the casserole and reheat slowly on top of the stove.

Recipe Type: Chicken, Crème Fraîche, Ina Garten, Main Dish, Mushrooms, Poultry

Source: foodnetwork.com
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:07 am 

Alina left out her most important advice to me - DOUBLE THE SAUCE :!:

Seriously, it is that good. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:05 am 

Just curious - how do you convert 1 oz dried Morels to fresh? I'm thinking 3-4 per person.

I have a very similar recipe for pork chops from James Beard's "American Cookery" which we all love.

fitzie

ps - Thank you so much, Alina.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am 

Obviously, it depends upon size..............

Having said that, when using dried you get from very small on upwards. If you can choose, then maintain some similarity as much as possible. However, for larger ones, I cut them lengthwise into sixths or eighths; they are chewy.