Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marilyn's Toffee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:53 pm 

The Thermapen is dead, but they're offering a (yet unspecified) discount on a new splashproof model. I'm going to ask about the backlit one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:11 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
I use 4oz by weight of almonds in the toffee.

ah, I completely misread your post. ;-)
I use 5 oz but think it could use a bit more. Or maybe a bit less. Not sure. Is it Christmas yet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:29 pm 

I didn't make this last year, and maybe not the year before. I think this is the candy version of crack, unbelievably good. Frank, my goodness, 100#!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 am 

I've made 4 batches so far this year. Scaling back to 10 ounces of chocolate and 4 ounces of almonds works best for me too, but the biggest difference I've found is switching to a 2 quart pot (first time I did this was a mistake) versus a 3 quart. The 2 batches in the smaller pot are darker in colour than the 2 made in the larger one even though I cooked them to the same temp according to the thermapen. Way darker and more snap. I had to be more careful with the smaller pot since it was pretty full but it was worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:53 pm 

Thanks, Frank :D I also like guittard and actually spread 70% disks on the hot toffee last time. It worked well. I like the idea of using less chocolate. It makes sense. That's a lot of toffee you make! With that kind of practice, I'm looking forward to trying your version.
Happy holidays

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:45 am 

For some unknown reason, I bought one of the Copper Pans that you are seeing advertised everywhere. Actually, the reason is known. I read where these pans are really good for making candy because or their heat conductivity. The pan that I use to make toffee is a non-stick that is starting to flake. I am hoping since this new pan is so deep that I can make a double batch of toffee. I know that some people have tried without success to make a double batch so I am optimistic about this new pan. I use a Thermapen, so I will be able to monitor the temps closely. I will post an update after I make the toffee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:36 pm 

Todd hope it works. Fwiw, I first used a newish 3 qt. non-stick chef's pan and it worked ok. However that is my popcorn pan and not suitable for other use after a while. So after that I used a Tri-ply Calphalon 3 qt. chef's pan and it worked perfectly. I prefer to clean SS to non-stick anyway. I have the same pan in 2 qt. so I might try it per Jean's post below. Though I don't think it would work now since the daytime temps have been between 105 and 111 F., and with lows >75F. Looking forward to seeing how your pan works, Steve wants one because ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 am 

[quote="Cubangirl"] the daytime temps have been between 105 and 111 F., and with lows >75F.

OY! And I've been complaining because we've got temps in the mid to upper 90s which will continue for at least for another week.
I don't do well in hot weather so I pretty much stay inside where it's cool (thank goodness for AC).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:39 am 

It was not usually so hot here, but it has been really bad this year. To make it worse our power was out for 3 hours in the middle of the day yesterday. Not sure what is causing it since climate change is "fake news" :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next