Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wedding menu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 am 

Well, after 20 years, we are finally getting married! We're planning on having a small gathering of mostly family (many of whom haven't met as they are scattered all across the country) and friends. We're planning on having it in our home and having it catered(!) by a friend who is a caterer. The idea of having a party without being in the kitchen is both liberating and terrifying!

There will be about 60-70 people - and because we want people to mingle - we're considering doing heavy appetizers. After several rounds with our caterer friend (who used to be the executive chef at a wonderful restaurant in town), here is the menu that we've come up with. If you have any comments, would like to suggest substitutions or additions, I would honestly love to hear them!

The plan is to have champagne first, followed by the ceremony, the party itself and conclude with desserts (a close friend is a French baker).

Thanks for your help. Gerard

Suggested Menu

HOR D’OEUVRES BUFFET - STATIONARY

Asparagus Tempura
Tangy Lemon Tarragon aioli

Mini Sweet Potato Biscuit
Country Ham, Cranberry Confiture

Grilled Zucchini Wrapped Skirt Steak
Chimichurri Sauce
Lime, Cilantro, Italian Parsley, Garlic, Olive Oil, Sherry Vinegar

Lobster Turnovers
Leeks, Tarragon, Baked in a Flaky Puffed Pastry

Duck Confit Flatbread
Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onion, Rosemary

Potato Cakes
Pink applesauce, crème fraiche

Lollipop Lamb Chops
Grilled Rosemary, Olive Oil & Seat Salt
Mint Yogurt Dipping Sauce

Post subject: Re: Wedding menu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 am 

First off, congratulations! Just hope you kids aren't rushing into anything. The menu looks fantastic... drool worthy. The only thing I would add are maybe a couple lighter things, maybe little cups of gazpacho or even some nice crudités. I feel like I need a lobster turnover to help me through the day...

Mary

PS that dessert does include a wedding cake, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am 

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS :!: :!: :D

As for the menu, I applaud the choice of appetizers but I'm having a real hard time with "zucchini wrapped skirt steak". I guess I just don't understand how it will work physically and I imagine either a limp vegetable around a properly cooked steak or a crisp vegetable around an underdone steak. Other than that, I wish I was on the invite list.

TMI - I took an alternate route by being married for 5 years before I told anyone - ah, righteous, rebellious youth... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:58 am 

Thanks so much. Tiny cups of soup sounds excellent, easy, and will fit in nicely. Crudites and a cheese/fruit platter is on the list - I just forgot to type that up.

I hadn't thought about the problems with the skirt steak/zuccini. It also brings up just how those are held and eaten. I'll have to ask the caterer about that.

Great points, exactly the type of input I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:33 am 

A few non food questions come to mind. Did you hire your friend as a caterer with a contract to provide the food for the wedding as well as staff for serving and cleaning up or is it a casual agreement with a friend? Don’t underestimate the need for that contract. Your friendship may hang in the balance.

Even a stand up, heavy appetizer menu requires seating for guests who cannot stand for the entire ceremony and party and you may find less mingling than imagine or desire.

Break all the rules you want, but I agree that every wedding needs a wedding cake large enough to serve all the guests a small piece.

Food related comments. In every crowd of 70, there are going to be guests that will only eat familiar food. I would knock your favorite aunt to the floor if she was hoarding the Lollipop Chops, but some simply prepared pork or beef might be in order for guests that don’t like lamb and don’t understand chimichurri Sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am 

I think it sounds fabulous. Jim might have a point though. Some Shrimp Cocktail or Mini-Quiche might be in order for the faint of heart. It's hard to remember after all the supermarket shrimp trays and previously frozen egg tarts, but those dishes became classics for a reason -- when they are done right, they're crazy tasty.

What are you planning to wash it all down with?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 am 

Gerard,

When Andy and I got married we described it as "a party at which we happened to get married." The only traditional thing we did was get married...that, and cut a cake.

It was a destination wedding, and we didn't want people to feel like it was the "same old, same old." It was not. It was a celebration of food, wine and dance. One of my best friends had to convince her boyfriend that this would not be the "usual wedding." When they left on Sunday, he said to me, "this is one of the funnest weekends I've ever experienced," and he meant it. (btw...he's the Washington head of a major news network, so he knows parties.)

Go with what feels right.

That being said, I'd add a couple more apps.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Gerard,

Wow, and my sweetie and I thought waiting 7 years was procrastinating.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am 

Gerard wrote:
Well, after 20 years, we are finally getting married!

Congratulations! I don't have much to offer that hasn't already been said. I'd add a few more items and make them more "classic" for the less adventurous eaters.

It sounds like a lovely party.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think you're right - we do need some more familiar foods. Will have to tweek that. If anyone has any idea - please let me know. And thanks for all the congrats! We're really looking forward to a very special evening.