Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chicken wings on the grill - recipe suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:17 pm 

I have 30 wings I want to cook tomorrow on the grill. Looking for any marinade recipes or other suggestions!
Will be served alongside CI's fried rice, and ribs rubbed with Penzey's BBQ 3000 then finished with a bbq sauce.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Chicken wings on the grill - recipe suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:48 am 

I've never cooked wings on the grill - but one thing I have been doing lately with chicken in general is to do a lot of my trimming of excess fat and skin with a kitchen shears. I used to struggle with a knife, and unless it was half way frozen it just was a slippery mess. Grilling is always neater without all that yuck dripping down.

Hope this might help. Write in with you results!

Lynn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:10 am 

As much as I hate to use my microwave for anything other than reheating, I sometimes put my chicken in a glass baking dish covered with saran and nuke for 15-20 minutes, turning once. It cooks it about 3/4 of the way thru. It also removed a lot of the fat that burns on the grill. Then BBQ for another 20 minutes to crisp up and baste on sauce. It stays moist from the microwave cooking and browns up beautifully on the grill with out sending flames everywhere.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 am 

We pre-cook, too, Laurie, but use our oven. After about 30-40 min at 400, we remove and put in a large bowl and stir in (withour hands) the sauce or marinade de jour, then place on the grill to finish off.
fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 pm 

thanks! I have a POS microwave so didn't use it but will keep that in mind for when we fnally find a replacement (we foolishly had the shelf built the exact size of our old m/w and new ones are too big for the space, and the ones that fit are either too small or don't work)

I wound up making the brined and grilled wings from CI - july 1999. I went with a whole Asian (kind of) theme - fried rice, steamed sugar snap peas, steamed boc choi, asian slaw salad (from costco), ribs and chicken wings with the Hoisin-Sesame dipping sauce...without the sesame since I forgot to get sesame oil. And of course I skipped adding the cilantro. ;)
The wings were EXCELLENT. Really really good. I probably overbrined them a bit, but they were stellar. Will do them again that way. The dipping sauce was very good and came together very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am 

Heh, I've been too busy to do anything remotely like board visits (in-laws visiting), but was just about to suggest that recipe. I love grilled wings and use their general brine, two-level (though I use modified two level) fire all the time. If you do it over very hot charcoal, it does require a little careful dancing on the grill, but comes out beautifully.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Heh, I've been too busy to do anything remotely like board visits (in-laws visiting), but was just about to suggest that recipe. I love grilled wings and use their general brine, two-level (though I use modified two level) fire all the time. If you do it over very hot charcoal, it does require a little careful dancing on the grill, but comes out beautifully.

Jean, Paul, should you "burn" it you just rename it "cajun style" works every time... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 am 

Great thread, my wife's newest "fav" is Buffalo Wings! I saw reference to CI's recipe and first ran into a 2005 recipe, then hunted farther and found the 1999 (I think) recipe where you brine the wings. I was all for this, but my wife wants to try using a pressure cooker to cook them until almost done but still nice and moist and then deep fry them or alternatively bbq them for the crispy exterior. I tend toward the deep fryer and then coating with sauce because my young cooks in the house seem to delight in turning bbq sauce into charcoal on the grill, not my favorite flavor.

So Paul, what is this 2 tier brine? CI recommends 1 quart water, 6 tablespoons of table salt (since asking for Kosher Salt here gets you a very puzzled look and then the standard response, "Out of stock, sir!" even if they've never seen it in their lives) plus a chunk of sugar 1/2 or 2/3 doublechecked: 3/4 cup. So a two stage brine is first one then the other? Some sort of super osmosis technique? Just curious.

I also showed the chicken wing trimming guide on CI to my wife, who found it something of a surprise. "Why do they cut off my favorite part?" she asked as she eyeballed the instructions to trim and discard the wing tips.

"Crazy Kanos, honey." I replied. Kanos for those of you unfamiliar with the term is short for "Amerikano" and is applied to almost anyone of paler skin regardless of point of origin outside of the Philippines. Brits are Kanos, so are Germans, Swedes and Canadians. No disrespect intended, just a widely used them versus us generalization.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 am 

No that was two tier fire, plain brine. I was just rushing the sentence and wandering off on tangents :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:55 am 

Alton has a recipe where you steam the wings then bake. Supposed to be the ultimate in retaining crispness even after saucing. I tried it and it definitely worked to an extent, but I found the flavor to be a bit short and the technique to be slow and kinda clumsy. I think the PC sounds more interesting. Straight up deep dried works too; CI has an excellent technique and sauce for that.

I don't typically sauce my grilled ones. I used a spicy rub (mostly pepper, ancho chili powder and some cayenne) and use a very very good hot sauce to dip a little on serving ( hot sauce made locally by a jamican gentleman )