Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutrition Tracking Software
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:41 pm 

Anyone have recommendations? I am not so much interested in a weight loss tool, but rather as a way to track nutritional content. I've looked at FitDay, DietPower, etc.

Might be zeroing in on DietPower.. Does anyone have any comments on any of these softwares?

Post subject: Re: Nutrition Tracking Software
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm 

Lynn, I use a free online calorie counter and you can get additional features by paying a small monthly fee.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm 

I've used FitDay for years. I find it very easy to use and like it a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:50 am 

I have also used FitDay and it is very easy and works well. Hmmm, should probably get back on it...

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 pm 

I just compared FitDay free version to My Calorie Counter premium version...and FitDay wins. It has an easier to use food search (IMO) and you get more free statistics with it.

What does the FitDay PC version do?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm 

http://nutrition-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Here is a site that has reviews. It looks like Fitday does not have a way to enter a recipe, which is a deal breaker for me. Anyone who has it - am I understanding this right, i.e. you can't enter your own combination of ingredients for a nutritional summary??

eb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:23 pm 

Thanks for the link.

The only thing I could find in the online version of Fitday was a place where you could add all the details for a specific recipe or food, but you would have already had to have calculated them in another software.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 am 

Hi Holly,
I've downloaded demos or trials for about five of these softwares now. FitDay seems to be the cleanest and most intuitive of them. Some of the others seem to be oriented to weight loss, rather than general nutrition (like Diet Master, where you are greeted with a whistle blowing "coach" at every logon, and given recommendations of what you should be eating - blech).

The PC version of Fitday (vs the online free version or online paid version) is faster and has more capability and no ads (or so they say).

One thing that Fitday has that none of the others do is an alcohol component to the pie charts. So, you can see how many of your calories are from alcohol. I'm sure this would be an interesting statistic, as I attribute weight creep to the empty calories of red wine drinking in winter and beer on the boat in summer. I'm sure that would be an eye opener, no pun intended.

PLUS, FD is cheaper than most. Some of the more expensive ones are pretty cheesy from a user standpoint - although they have lots of fancy things to track for dieticians or professionals. Overall FD seems the best for what I am looking for.

I think you can add recipes afterall, they don't really call it that, but it would be like adding a custom food - they help section said that you could do this in the paid version. We'll see.

Lynn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:42 am 

I'm trying out DietMaster PC version right now. It's okay but not as user friendly as the online versions of FitDay and MyCalories. I'll stick with it a month or so. I have a feeling it doesn't matter what the software is -- its the keeping track everyday that matters. So if I could just get DH to stop baking! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 pm 

Nevermind, I'm going to buy the Diet Power software. It's really the easiest to use, might not have every feature but I can add recipes, and it has more of the types of foods that I use in the food dictionary.

If anyone ever needs a food looked up for a specific nutritional value, just let me know. It has tons of info. I'm really excited to use it.

Lynn