Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manicotti for 20
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:32 pm 

I am having a Holiday Party next sunday for 20. I just finished making CI's Manicotti, a triple recipe. Four pans are now in the freezer and ready to be baked next weekend.

I decided on this because it could be made ahead and frozen, and it can serve a crowd. I have family members bringing the bread/rolls, salad and desserts. Just the appy's and beverages left to do the day of the party. I'm thinking just beer and wine, maybe a pitcher of Manhatton's (my drink of choice). Ya gotta keep the cook happy ya know! :D

I have to say, I am streaching to let others bring part of the meal. I usually don't allow it. I want everything just so, and they never bring the right bread or the salad I wanted, and God forbid they bring the wrong dessert..lol.

However, as I get older and tireder (Is that a word?) I am relinquishing some of the duties so I can still entertain and be able to enjoy the party too. Anyone else have this problem? I may struggle a little knowing the rolls and desserts are coming from Sam's Club and not homemade, and the salad may come out of a bag etc. But don't worry I shall persevere! I hope!

Laurie

Post subject: Re: Manicotti for 20
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:39 pm 

MiGirl wrote:
However, as I get older and tireder (Is that a word?) I am relinquishing some of the duties so I can still entertain and be able to enjoy the party too. Anyone else have this problem? I may struggle a little knowing the rolls and desserts are coming from Sam's Club and not homemade, and the salad may come out of a bag etc. But don't worry I shall persevere! I hope!
Laurie

Relinquish away Laurie! You're doing the right thing. As you said, the cook needs to be happy. :D And you're preparing the apps and main event. All the rest are the supporting cast.

And yes, as I get tireder (it's a word now ;) ) I take shortcuts too. Its more about quality time spent with friends and family and less about quantity of time spent preparing food.

Just my .02. I'm sure it will be great.

Nance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:56 pm 

I gladly let others chip in. And use all my utensils and crowd my kitchen and load the dishwasher. What's the sense of planning social events if you don't have time to socialize?

Enjoy your party Laurie.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:49 pm 

I agree. I also was a control freak but I am also older and tireder and on the one hand, I don't want a dish to pass dinner, or make my guests feel that bringing food is the price of admission, but I am OK with letting others chip in. It's made for much more enjoyable gatherings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:28 pm 

I'm glad to know I'm not alone, sometimes I think this food thing is a curse! I have almost stopped entertaining because of this. This year I decided, I need to make some changes so I can entertain for the holidays.

Funny thing is I bought the invites last year and didn't send them. This year I pulled them out, filled them in, addressed them and then put them on the kitchen counter. I was still deciding..lol. So one morning a few days later, I scooped them up and put them in the mail and thought "your commited now". So the party begins....

I have to say I am looking forward to it. :D

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:43 pm 

Oh yes, I understand the tireder bit. My bones are still creaking from Thursday. I had lots of help this year and even though the rolls from WalMart aren't as good as home made, the company was delightful.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 pm 

Good for you! I'm still pretty much a control freak, although I am learning to let go. I understand the older and tireder part more every year (pretty much every month, truth be told!).

Even though I'm starting to relax, I'm planning a solstice party again this year and the only thing I will tell others to bring (and only if they ask to bring something) is liquor or mixers. Guess I still have work to do on that "letting go" part... :lol: But for smaller events, dinners and such, I am "allowing" others to bring salads, etc. It's difficult to let go, but as everyone says, it's about the friends more than about the food.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:43 pm 

It is easier said than done. It's about wanting everything perfect. The truth is just having everyone present is the perfect part. It is so hard letting go.

Why do we always think our food is better than anyone elses? OK, a foodie's food probably is better than the average cook's. Not because we are special, but because we thrive on the creation of perfect food. We are not afraid to experiment and to search out products and recipe's that challenge us. And let's face it, we love it when people love our food.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:19 am 

Full disclosure... my friends are awesome cooks so, even if something was not my first choice, it will be good. I have been in the same cooking club for 10 years now and these women are my best friends and we have cooked together for a long time. I do have other friends but if only ask for help from the people who I know are up to it. I prefer doing it this way as I don't have to compromise on what I am making due to lack of time or energy.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 am 

I totally agree.....This year was the first Thanksgiving without my mom. My youg nieces
helped out much more than usual and, yes, we had many store bought things and stove top stuffing, but it was really,really wonderful. My mom was surely smiling on us.......

So, yep, perspective.........it's taken me 48 years to get some.....