Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: For those planting garlic this year...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:00 pm 

I couldn't find Estonian Red at the Festival today but I did find a new hardneck that looks and sounds really promising: Duganski. Large purple streaked cloves, approx 6-8 per bulb, and stores 8-10 months.

All the Metechi I found were extremely small so I didn't buy any. Actually, most of the garlic bulbs for sale were really small this year, which is unusual.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 am 

Garlic and shallots are in the ground for next year! I got Georgian Fire for the second time - it did well years ago, and the only reason that I didn't grow it again was the small cloves on the inside of the head, though it still had huge outer cloves (and some of these cloves in the seed garlic were nearly as large as the Estonian Red) and great flavor. I got Music and Estonian red, as always. And I got a few Russian Red, only because getting 5 oz more of something got me free shipping when I ordered my ER. I also got 2 lbs of Holland Red seed shallots, and most of these were HUGE! I planted all of those (32) first, then the garlic - 152 total, with about a dozen of the smallest not planted. After next season's harvest, I will continue to never have any problems with vampires!

I just used 8 cloves from last year's harvest last night - equal to about 20 cloves normal sized garlic - in a more than double batch of Szechwan eggplant, using the last batch of eggplant of the season - 36 oz. of cubes. I also used "scallions", which I grew using some very small shallots as "onion sets" , figuring that I may get more out of them doing this, and in less than two months they were huge! Just two of these "scallions" was enough for 4 c when chopped up, and had great flavor. I may buy those small shallots in the Asian markets to grow scallions from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Dave,

My garlic, which failed this summer (flopping over) partly due to squirrel interference, started re-sprouting last month and now has a ton of green shoots and leaves. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:38 pm 

Was this garlic that you had planted in spring? I've never done that - only the fall before - but early summer is when it traditionally "fails", when it gets harvested - when 50-60% of the leaves turn brown. Hardnecks don't flop over, but maybe sofnecks do (I don't grow those), like onions.

I would just leave it in, and see if it dies back with the cold, and comes back in the spring. It's always the first thing to show up in my garden, and in some mild winters, it never really died off! How mild are your winters?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

Given climate change, who knows what this winter holds?

The garlic was volunteers which came up in the spring on its own. It was in a bad location, though, so I moved it, which I think is why I didn't get any scapes or serious stalks. I'll leave it where it is over-winter and see if I get a good harvest next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:10 pm 

Fuzzy,

I don't get volunteers of garlic, but it happens all the time with shallots, so I can see how some leftover roots could do this. I just pulled some shallots that I had planted about 2 months earlier, by planting some very small shallots, using them to get some scallions (they make very good and intense scallions, for Chinese food). In just 4 days there were a number of baby shallots, which looked like chives, which I assume popped up from the roots left in the ground. So I guess garlic could do the same.