Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Chili
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 am 

I always prided myself on taking the extra time to use dried beans, thinking they were in every way better.
That they are really usually inferior to canned was a huge surprise to me. It won't stop me from using up the beans in my pantry but I just won't stock up like I have in the past.
Pepperhead, maybe I'm just not awake yet but I cannot think of a single variety that is not available in cans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:16 am 

Adzuki comes to mind. I've never seen canned adzuki beans. Mung beans either, now that I think about it. Maybe they have them at the Asian grocery, but I've never looked. Supermarket dried beans are the worst. I try to avoid them, but health-food co-ops usually have very good dried beans. Whole Foods has pretty good beans, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Linda, JB:

Wierdly, here in Portland canned black-eyed peas are *really* hard to find. I'd thought of them as a staple, one of the 4-5 varieties of canned beans you expect all markets to have. But I've only been able to find them here by going to the Vietnamese or Carribean groceries, imported from other countries (Thai black-eyed peas anyone?). It's very strange.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:34 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Linda, JB:

Wierdly, here in Portland canned black-eyed peas are *really* hard to find. I'd thought of them as a staple, one of the 4-5 varieties of canned beans you expect all markets to have. But I've only been able to find them here by going to the Vietnamese or Carribean groceries, imported from other countries (Thai black-eyed peas anyone?). It's very strange.

Josh,

We can get black beans anywhere in South Florida. In gas stations for instance. If you need a supply of Goya I can ship you a box.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:31 pm 

Linda wrote:
I always prided myself on taking the extra time to use dried beans, thinking they were in every way better.
That they are really usually inferior to canned was a huge surprise to me. It won't stop me from using up the beans in my pantry but I just won't stock up like I have in the past.
Pepperhead, maybe I'm just not awake yet but I cannot think of a single variety that is not available in cans.

Kala Chana (a.k.a. black chick peas) and Red Chori beans are two of my favorites I can think of off hand, that I haven't even seen canned in Indian grocers.

I used to (back in the 90's) have to buy those "good" black beans - the almost round, shiny ones - when I took a trip down to Avondale, PA, to stock up on Mexican Groceries. Now they can be found anywhere around here. And as for BEPs, the supermarkets around here even have them in their supermarket labels - even the Aldi's stores sell them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:18 am 

Rancho Gordo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:50 am 

I've been meaning to post to say this is the BEST veggie chili I have ever made. Thank you for posting the reference, Lu1 and Cookie!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:06 pm 

I don't agree with CI on this one. I've been getting my black beans from Vitacost (their brand) when I buy my vitamins. They have been great. I've been making them in my Instant Pot using my Cuban Black bean recipe. They are done in under 1 hour. I've tried different canned black beans including TJ's Cuban ones and give them all a pass. I've also enjoyed Vitacost's Cranberry ones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa,

Just realized you said "black beans" above. It's black-eyed-peas I'm looking for. Black beans, everybody has.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:48 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Lisa,

Just realized you said "black beans" above. It's black-eyed-peas I'm looking for. Black beans, everybody has.

Well that makes way more sense.
(I hate when I misinterpret, I feel stoopid.)