Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Sous Vide...ah me...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:36 am 

I've had the problem with super sticky skins too, but not always, and have yet to run down why. For example, it never seems to happen with chicken breasts; They brown and release nicely. But I've had thighs glue themselves to the pan. Mind you, those two are cooked at pretty different temps, and that could be the difference. Or maybe my technique has been sloppy on occasion, not sure, but I'd love to have an answer too.

I often deep fry (fast and hot) thighs and/or legs to finish. Really great browning, crispy and flavour, and not at all greasy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:50 pm 

Today I did Cod @ 50C @ 10 min. Brined it first in 5% solution for about 30 min to firm it up; should have brined it less time, it actually was a little too firm. Browned on side in a hot non-stick pan. It still came out very very nicely, will repeat (with less brine time...)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20 am 

How long can I safely hold cooked beef under refrigeration? I lucked into a ridiculous deal on a point deckle brisket yesterday, when I wanted to buy one in a week and a half or so for Labor Day. Now I am thinking I will do Kenji's sous vide trick on it instead of smoking it outright. So I could salt and pepper it today and tomorrow, and then sous vide it for a couple of days and chill it. But I am still looking at a week and a half of refrigeration afterwards before I would then smoked at 250 for three hours to get bark, which is way outside my comfort zone.

So, can I sous vide and chill/refrigerate and not poison anyone? Should I sous vide and freeze for a week? Freeze then sous vide?

Thanks!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:27 am 

Well, unopened (that is very important) sous vide that has been cooked to pasteurization (which this will be) and kept properly cold has a fridge life in weeks. Typically you will not see that recommended because most home fridges are not cold enough or not consistently cold enough. *I* would be comfortable with 1.5 weeks unopened in my meat drawer, which is on the edge of freezing. YMMV.

OTOH, it should freeze well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:33 am 

To illustrate the big difference temperature makes, safe holding of sealed pasteurized sous-vide:

• below 2.5 °C/36.5 °F for up to 90 days,
  • below 3.3 °C/38 °F for less than 31 days,
  • below 5 °C/41 °F for less than 10 days, or
  • below 7 °C/44.5 °F for less than 5 days

Note how fast the time drops off with little temperature change. Lots of home fridges have warm spots that may be above 5 some of the time.
From http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0X11000035

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Well, unopened (that is very important) sous vide that has been cooked to pasteurization (which this will be) and kept properly cold has a fridge life in weeks. Typically you will not see that recommended because most home fridges are not cold enough or not consistently cold enough. *I* would be comfortable with 1.5 weeks unopened in my meat drawer, which is on the edge of freezing. YMMV.

OTOH, it should freeze well.

My back fridge is very cold (EG veggies occasionally ice over), and I certainly wasn't going to open the bag, so I think I will be okay. I will be bringing the meat up to temperature again in the smoker as well because I want good bark. I might start it in the oven just to be sure that it gets up to temp more quickly than it otherwise would.

I picked up a little chuck roast today to make burnt ends. Yum.

Thank you!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:37 pm 

The brisket was a success! I turned down the back fridge (at the expense of some salad greens that got put in there one night) and everything came out great. The overly trimmed point I had was not as moist as I would have hoped but it wasn't terrible, either.

But the really, really yummy thing was the small chuck steak I did for burnt ends. Kenji recommended chuck steak as "almost as good" as brisket" so I bought a 1 lb steak, sous vided it, smoked it to dry, chopped it into chunks, and put it in some sauce that had the bag juices added. THAT was amazing and we will do that again over and over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ8ZlmLjHoN ... ockflorida

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21