Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Vitamix thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:22 am 

Fuzzy,

Another problem that I found with a FP is that the skins of the chili peppers don't get ground up well, and end up in large pieces - the main reason that I had to find a better way!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 pm 

I use mine for hummus (gets super smooth), chili sauce (no need to strain the dried pepper skins out like Dave says as they are nonexistent after the purée function is done), and I figure that if I use it daily for green smoothies, it's paid for itself. I love how it pulverizes raspberry and blackberry seeds, flax seed, and greens. Chris didn't realize I was stuffing him full of flax, spinach, and kale until he saw the bags out (I hid the color with blueberries and blackberries and the texture was perfectly smooth). A FP is still better for some things though (salsa, Parmesan cheese, grating cheese, chopping stuff chunky).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:55 pm 

Lisa, this the one last one I did. I think it is from the Vitamix book.

LEMON CURD VITAMIX

This is adapted from Ina Garten's recipe.

Servings: 3
Yield: 3 cups

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

3 TBS. lemon zest (from 3 to 4 lemons)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 granulated cane sugar (up to 1½ cups)
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
4 oz. unsalted butter
4 extra large eggs

Put juice and peel if using in and puree the mixture. Turn the VitaMix to low, add the sugar and butter. Stop and taste to check for tartness, add more sugar if needed. Then add the eggs, 1 at a time. Once combined, go from low to high and within 5-6 minutes until you have a beautiful thick curd. Stop after a few minutes to check the temperature but you can tell by watching it when it is done and at the correct temperature about 175° F.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Lemon, Lemon Curd, Vitamix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 pm 

Alina,

I will have to try that some time when we aren't dieting. I love lemon curd!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:42 am 

pepperhead212 wrote:
Lisa,

I may have posted these before, but here they are, with the Vitamix method added. As you can see, the Immersion blender method is my favorite - it gives a texture very close to that of doing it in the mortar. I did burn one out doing this once, so you have to have a powerful one.

Classic Red Curry Paste
Panang Curry Paste
Masaman Cury Paste
Green curry Paste, concentrated.

Dave,

Well, they had fresh galangal at my store today, so I have questions. :) I have everything I need, so before I get rocking, I was only able to get fresh Thai chiles. Do you have any idea of the conversion? I am thinking I will make the rest of the paste, put two fresh chiles in, see if my head explodes, and go from there. But any tips will be be appreciated.

I have much more galangal than I need. Three large rhizomes. I don't know how healthy they are. I wonder if I cut one of them up if it would root like ginger. Thoughts?

I actually went to the store to get stuff to make jerk, so I am going to do that first because it is dinner. I will check back later.

Thanks!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Lisa,

I've never been able to root galangal. However, if you peel it and cut it into chunks, it freezes quite well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:47 am 

Thanks, Josh!

Today's haul!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:26 pm 

Lisa,

I peel and trim galangal and freeze it in amounts I use in recipes in small, homemade Foodsaver "bags". It keeps just about forever this way. I also freeze fresh turmeric and ginger this way.

Using all Thai peppers in one of these pastes would result in a paste so hot that you couldn't use enough of it to get the flavor. The green curry paste is the only one that uses a bunch of Thai peppers, and less is used in comparison to the reds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:59 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
Lisa,

I peel and trim galangal and freeze it in amounts I use in recipes in small, homemade Foodsaver "bags". It keeps just about forever this way. I also freeze fresh turmeric and ginger this way.

Using all Thai peppers in one of these pastes would result in a paste so hot that you couldn't use enough of it to get the flavor. The green curry paste is the only one that uses a bunch of Thai peppers, and less is used in comparison to the reds.

Hi Dave,

I used the fresh red Thai peppers in place of the dried Thai Dragons, not in place of the bulk New Mexico chilies. I think I was unclear. :shock: I ended up using four fresh Thai peppers for each of the three pastes I made and it was plenty hot.

I made jerk sauce with one habanero as well yesterday and it was very tasty. I ended up with a bunch of unused chiles at the end of the day. I made a Caribbean Pepper Pot sauce that is so hot I can't eat it in even very small quantities and am fermenting some more habaneros and Thai reds with a bunch of sweet peppers and shallots to hopefully get something my palate can handle.

As for the galangal, I am stubborn enough that I will probably try to plant one rhizome especially since I can now get it cheaply and locally, but I will do as the two of you have suggested with the rest and freeze the rest of the in small pieces. I came across several sites that says it will grow in South Florida. That doesn't account for my black thumb though.

Thanks for everything!

--Lisa