Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spiralizers revisited
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 am 

I just saw a recipe for ratatouille (sp?) made with spiralized vegetables and it looked so good that I'm tempted to buy a spiralizer. But I wonder if it's another gadget that will end up in a box in the garage.
Is anyone who bought one of these still using it? I like the looks of the KA attachment available at W-S for $99 and Amazon for $68. I'm guessing these are the same models(?)

Post subject: Re: Spiralizers revisited
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 am 

I have two spiralizers and use them at least once a week. I have the Beringer, which is a great machine, and comes with a very fine blade used for Japanese style shredded daikon and carrots that you see on the side of plates. My arms frankly get tired using for hard vegetables if you are making something like a butternut squash. I eventually replaced it with the Kitchenaid.

The Kitchenaid is very nice because it is automatic but it does have a couple of downsides. For one, it doesn't come with that very fine shredding blade. For the for another, the spear that holds the food to be shredded has shallow spikes (to let you get as much food as you can shredded) and the shallowness somethings means it tears the food and doesn't spiralize it. You then have to cut off the shredded part and start again. The Beringer also does this but less often. There is also more waste than with the Beringer. YMMV.

--Lisa