Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: This ice cream is amazing!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:15 pm 

wino wrote:
My second recipe attempt (the Max Falkowitz version) was pretty much a disaster and my fault. Being on a low-carb diet, I substituted 3 cups whipping cream for the 3 cups whole milk that was called for. I used Splenda instead of sugar. The sweetness was fine but the extra fat separated with the heat and it was almost impossible to cut. I ended up using the Vitamix to homogenize the concoction! Furthermore, it was almost too much chocolate flavor. We ended up giving it to our staff and their kids – they devoured it :!: :!: :lol:

On the plus side, I did not need to destroy myself or my kitchen; it is pretty easy to make but the super-chocolate flavor and added carbs do not compel me to try again with the called for ingredients. :cry:

Wino,

Resurrecting a old thread to ask if you have general success in making ice cream with Splenda. I have an old friend recently diagnosed with diabetes is sad that he can never have homemade ice cream again and I would like to take him some in a couple of weeks if it works well. I have The Perfect Scoop am a fan of his vanilla and chocolate versions. Do you have any advice?

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 pm 

Hi Lisa - Sorry for the delayed response, it takes longer to get back from Hell than I recalled from previous excursions - - - ;) :roll:

I have not pursued Splenda ice cream recipes purely out of laziness. The following links have good discussions:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/splenda-homemade-ice-cream-279310

The Splenda site is sort of a bust: https://www.splenda.com/recipes/list?keys=ice+cream&keywords=&keywords_op=AND&category=All&field_cooking_time=All&sort_by=search_api_relevance&sort_order=DESC

However, my wife & I highly recommend all of the recipe books by George Stella for low-carb eating, which generally includes desserts he can enjoy.

Again, sorry for the delay.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:17 pm 

wino wrote:
Hi Lisa - Sorry for the delayed response, it takes longer to get back from Hell than I recalled from previous excursions - - - ;) :roll:

I have not pursued Splenda ice cream recipes purely out of laziness. The following links have good discussions:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/splenda-homemade-ice-cream-279310

<snip>

However, my wife & I highly recommend all of the recipe books by George Stella for low-carb eating, which generally includes desserts he can enjoy.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Wino,

That chowhound thread said we can try 1/3 sub so we will try that in a sorbet and report back. I will check out the books as well.

Thank you so much.

--Lisa