Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cocoa Tasting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 am 

No, not near there, but I have a friends in SC (Myrtle Beach), and their son is in NC, and they keep wanting me to come visit. Someday...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 pm 

FYI, I was researching Merken's to see about possibly ordering cocoa and happened upon this site. I think they own merken's, but I'm not sure. In any case there's interesting info on cocoa and chocolate.
http://www.adm.com/en-US/products/Cocoa ... owder.aspx

Nancy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am 

It does seem that way. I always thought DeZaan cocoa and Mercken's were made by the same company, not OWNED BY the same company. I got this idea back when KAF switched from Mercken's cocoa to DeZaan's, and it seemed to be identical, so I figured they just put another name on it.

And here's a source for Mercken's, where they list DeZaan's cocoa on the Mercken's page. BTW, that looks like a good price for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:03 pm 

interesting...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 pm 

So in my somewhat OCD way, I put this info so I'd have it in one place. Thought I'd share. Normally I'd format it so it was nice and even, but it does not stay that way in LC so I left it as it. Hope you find it useful.

COCOA FACTS

Bensdorp Cocoa Powder - "Holland Glory" (24-26% Fat Content), Medium Brown, Repackaged, 1 Pound $14.95

Bensdorp Cocoa Powder - "Royal Dutch" (22-24% Fat Content), Medium Brown, Repackaged, 1 Pound $12.95 KAF

Bensdorp Cocoa Powder - "Saandam" (16-18% Fat Content), Medium Brown, 1 Pound $14.95

Bensdorp Cocoa Powder -Windmill Medium Brown (10-12% Fat Content), Medium Brown, 1 Pound $14.95
Bensdorp - DaveThe strongest tasting of the bunch, with a lightly bitter aftertaste, though not unpleasant.

Cacao Barry, Meryl which is the French Division of Callebaut, to be inferior/weaker than Callebaut (darker in color than Callebaut, and maybe another case of overalkalizing, hence, resulting in a weaker flavor).

Callebaut Belgian Chocolate - Belgian Cocoa Powder (22-24% Fat Content), Repackaged, 1 Pound $15.99

Droste Dutched Process Cocoa 21.80% fat. 8.80 oz. Box $14.00 Amazon

Ghirardelli Chocolate - Dutch Process Cocoa Powder, "Superior" (10-12% Fat), Med. Dark Color, 1 Pound, Repackaged. $9.75

Ghirardelli Chocolate - Dutch Process Cocoa Powder, "Sunrise" (15-17% Fat), Dark Color, 1 Pound, Repackaged. $9.75

Guittard Chocolate - Cocoa Powder, Full Dutched Process (Darker Color) "Perfection Cocoa", (10-12% Cocoa Butter), Repackaged, 1 Pound $14.99

Guittard Chocolate - Cocoa Powder, Full Dutched Process (Darker Color) "Jersey Cocoa", (22-24% Cocoa Butter), Repackaged, 1 Pound $14.99
Guittard full dutched 22-24% Jersey cocoa Dave This smelled better in the bag than it did in the cup, and was sort of a flat, one dimensional chocolate flavor. Maybe the "full dutching" destroys some of the flavor? One strange aftertaste with this, I couldn't place at first, then I realized it tasted like it had been sweetened with sorghum.

Guittard Chocolate - "Cocoa Rouge" Unsweetened Dutch-process Cocoa Powder, 227g/8.0oz. Single Can $8.99
Guittard Rouge Dave but this had a slightly better aroma, and a less bitter aftertaste. Not quite as strong tasting as Bensdorp, but only when trying them side by side several times did I come to this conclusion

King Arthur Black Cocoa Super-dark, super-rich Dutch-process cocoa. In 12-ounce bag. $9.95

Penzeys Dutch Process Cocoa Powder (22% butterfat) Rich, smooth flavor, blends easily in milk for hot chocolate, ice cream, sauces and candy-making. 8 oz. $6.50 Penzey's natural and Dutched were very disappointing - I found them to be bland. Ditto on Ghirardelli. Mery

Pernigotti Collection Cocoa Powder Fine dutched high-fat (20-22%) cocoa powder with a hint of ground vanilla bean. zip-lock pouch. 1Kg/2.2 lbs.$21.50
Pernigotti Meryl to have a great aroma and nice dark color, but it left me disappointed, taste wise. It wasn't as deep chocolatey as I expected, given the high ratings it usually receives.

Rodelle Dutched Gourmet Baking Cocoa European Dutch processed 16-18 % fat. 24.5 oz. canister $14.31 Amazon

Valrhona Cocoa Powder 100% Cocoa, 0% Sugar, (21% Fat Content), Dutch Processed. 8 oz, $10.50

King Arthur All-Purpose Baking Cocoa (22 % fat) Combo of,the classic chocolate flavor of cocoa; the rich body of Dutch-process cocoa; and the deep-dark color of black cocoa 1 lb. $14.95

Saco Premium Baking Cocoa Blend of natural with Dutched cocoa 10-12% fat 10 oz. canister $12.95 Amazon

Domori an Italian natural cocoa with aromatic profile It has hints of nut, banana and citrus fruits high fat cocoa 22-24%. 5.29 box $11.95 Chocosphere
Nancy: Tried it in whoopie pies which called for natural, (but I think later CI changed it to dutched). Total disaster. Flavor was not even chocolate and so I had to throw the cakes away before filling them.

Ghirardelli Chocolate - Natural Process Cocoa Powder, "Merritas" (10-12% Fat), Light Color, 1 Pound, Repackaged. Single Bag $9.75

Guittard Chocolate - Cocoa Powder, Natural Process "Alto Cocoa", (10-12% Cocoa Butter), Repackaged, 1 Pound $14.99

Guittard Chocolate - Cocoa Powder, Natural Process "Hi Fat Natural Cocoa", (22-24% Cocoa Butter), Repackaged, 1 Pound $14.99

Penzeys Natural Cocoa Powder (24% butterfat) Strong, dark, bittersweet flavor, great for all baking and also appropriate for Mexican recipes. 8 oz. $5.69

Penzey's natural and Dutched were very disappointing - I found them to be bland. Ditto on Ghirardelli. Meryl

Scharffen Berger Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 22.3 % fat 6 oz. canister 13.98 (for 2) Amazon

Trader Joe's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. 9 oz. canister $1.99
Natural cocoa is growing on me. Jess

Last edited by Cubangirl on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:39 pm 

WHAT!? ya couldn't alphabetize it!? :twisted: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:15 pm 

Ask and ye shall receive :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 pm 

I was looking for a good natural cocoa to replace hersheys in the hersheys chocolate cake. I bought Domori from Chocosphere, an Italian high fat cocoa 22-24%. The description sounded good. Tried it in whoopie pies which called for natural, (but I think later CI changed it to dutched). Total disaster. Flavor was not even chocolate and so I had to throw the cakes away before filling them and started over with Callebaut dutched with a much better result. I first thought that it was the high fat content, but Callebaut has the same fat percentage. Very disappointing about the Domori :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:52 am 

bumping for Darcie