It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So... 4th?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 am 

New concepts to me that really work:

Easy Weber Kettle Five Hour Slow Cook Setup - Really works

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... setup.html
      Scroll down to Long Cooks.

"If you have a long cook you can sometimes us the fuse method. Make a C with the coals around the outer rim of the lower grate but leave a gap. Put some wood chunks on the starting end of the fuse. Pour half a chimney of coals [SEE NOTE] into the gap touching only one side of the fuse. The meat then goes on a grate on top of the largest water pan you can find. I use a disposable aluminum pan. The water pan will protect the meat from direct heat, stabilize temps, and add humidity. You will need to experiment with how many coals to use and the vent settings. Start by building the fuse two briquets wide and two high with the vents wide open. Then throttle back the bottom vent if it is running hot."

NOTE: Half a chimney is way too much. I started my fuse with 15 hot Kingsford Competition briquettes and a chunk of pecan on top and that started to process nicely. I also used a much shorter fuse that was two wide and two high. I had to nearly close the bottom vent to maintain a temp of 275F which kept stable for the full time.

My way to smoke sous vide a really thick steak or leg of lamb:

Salt your roast a day in advance. Start 12 charcoal briquettes. Place them on side of grill and top with smoke chips. Place cold but well seasoned meat on top rack in the center. Replenish chips as needed to keep smoke pouring for about an hour. Continue slow roasting at 275 or so until internal temp is about 20 degrees below your target. Finish in a hot over to sear.

You can use the same roast session to make smoked ratatouille.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:32 pm 

We did Texas burgers, lemon potatoes, coleslaw, and brownies. Oh and lots of beer. We made it to dessert before the giant thunderstorm happened. We couldn't tell what was happening though until the rain started as the sky was blocked out by smoke from the fires in Saskatchewan.

For Canada day we smoked ribs. We did a 3 hour smoke, 1 in foil, and a 20 min glaze and they were awesome! More beer of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:40 am 

Oh sure, blame it on me....... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:09 pm 

I'm glad we were just getting smoke blowing at us and not living it on site. My parents live in BC and have been evacuated twice now, and the last time the fire took out the neighborhood butting up to theirs. It was not fun.

That said, my sinuses complained quite a bit! Might have been all that beer though...