Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's that time! My first tomato...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 pm 

and a few eggplant and okra, as well. Already had some peppers, but those are green - I have to wait for the tomatoes to ripen. I have a variety of tomatillo - Tamayo - that is the largest and earliest I have ever grown. It is already about 1 1/2" inside a much larger husk, and there are several dozen on three plants.

My eggplant are incredibly early this season. Even my pea eggplant is flowering, and that was in late July last season. It's got to be that Earthbox! I have that in its own, and 2, 3, and 1 in other self-irrigated containers, plus 8 more in the ground. I am definitely going to be looking for eggplant recipes this summer!

I am still harvesting greens, as well, though most are bolting. I just harvested three large kohlrabi - one just over a pound AFTER trimming and peeling!

This is the time of year I become a near vegetarian, with all these things from the garden! Tonight, however, I did make a dish with chicken livers in chipotle sauce, which I extended with two eggplants (and I have made a vegetarian version, with just eggplant), and those first two okra. Anything is good in that sauce, and I've been making it since Diana Kennedy's "Regional" book came out.

So how are other's gardening endeavors paying off?

Post subject: Re: It's that time! My first tomato...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:41 am 

Harvested my first 2 Kirby Cukes (and 1st time I grew them) and all else looks pretty lush except for the eggplant. For some reason here in Greene County, NY there was a lack of Eggplant plant supply at all nurseries/BB stores. If you didn't buy your EPs by Mothers Day you're out of luck. The ones I got were struggling but I think they're going to be ok. Just very small but they are growing.

Last edited by auntcy1 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:38 am 

I took your advice and got the Earth Box for my herbs this year. First time I've had a success! Everything is flourishing; parsley, rosemary, thyme, dill, basil and chives! All growing like weeds. We're having a major heat wave which ordinarily would be a challenge but with the Earth Box everything stays well watered and fertilized. This is definitely the way to go for me from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 pm 

Glad to hear it's all growing so well, Linda! It's incredible how things are growing in all those containers (homemade and original) for me, too! Here are some photos of all those plants, the first ten from just a couple days ago.
http://s24.photobucket.com/user/pepperh ... t=3&page=1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:10 am 

I tried a few EarthBoxes for the first time this year after reading comments here. I live in a condo with north and east balconies. I thought I'd try some heirloom tomatoes on the east side though I wasn't too hopeful. They're doing amazingly well. I've had a few cherry tomatoes already with many more on. My herbs did amazingly well too. I plan to get more boxes next year. Deb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:15 am 

Hi Deb,

Glad to hear you are having success, too! Just remember that those tomatoes suck up an incredible amount of water as they get large. Herbs don't need watered as often, but you probably know that already! The thirstiest plants I have are cucumbers, I had to add another emitter to that box to keep the level up, using the same timer as the tomatoes and eggplants.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:16 am 

Thanks, Dave. I've been noticing the increased water consumption. I'm a bit nervous as we're leaving for a week and I've only got one watering scheduled mid-week. Maybe I will try and line up some more. The weather isn't going to be too hot though which should help. Next year I'm going to get the auto-watering set-up. Deb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:43 pm 

This year, I got the first ripe one on 6-13! Only Sunsugars, so far, though today another has a hint of ripening. Eggplants and peppers are late, due to that cold May, but they are catching up fast.

How is everyone else's garden doing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 am 

I am jealous. We have such bad white fly in my area that every time I try to plant anything in the nightshade family they are infested and sucked dry immediately. I have tried everything in Home Depot I think. Does anyone have any tried and true solutions?

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am 

Though I don't know about whitefly, Surround works on keeping many insects off of plants, the main one for me being the flea beetle. I spray this on eggplants religiously, but I also spray it on tomatoes, until they start producing, and squash, cucumbers, melons, and probably others, as well! It is totally organic, and I keep a sprayer with that and potassium bicarbonate as a fungicide mixed at all times. It stays on well through rain, unless the rain is intense, plus the undersides of the leaves stay covered, and this is where most insects accumulate.