Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non Organic CSA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 pm 

Squee! That means they'll be cheap for a while. I feel strawberry shortcake night coming on!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:46 am 

I'm going to go pick Strawberries tonight. 5 quarts. I won't be able to get there until later tonight, so I hope they aren't all picked over.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:59 am 

Because of the iffy weather, I debated whether or not I would go pick berries. I decided to chance it and sure enough it started to sprinkle on my way there. I was able to pick two quarts before it really started to rain, and boy did it rain. I sat in the car for 20 minutes waiting for it to let up a little which it finally did. I picked the rest of my berries in the mud. Luckily I didn't have to walk more than 30 feet in one row to fill my quarts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:43 pm 

This came today from my CSA. It wasn't the best year. A lot of the crops were infected with some White Mildew or something, so our deliveries were pretty small.

I apologize for not having a delivery this week. The quality of the produce that is left is not the quality I want to deliver. The egg deliveries will continue next week. They should continue until sometime in November.

The meat birds are going to the processer on Tuesday of next week. I will be delivering them on Wednesday and Thursday. I will make arrangements with everyone so the birds will be properly handled.

I am starting to put the farm away for the winter. There is still some hope for the winter squash (some). It is not finishing off the way it normally does. If it ripens, I'll deliver it!!

We have been involved in several soil seminars this past summer. As soon as I have time, I'll put together an overview of what we plan to do next year.
Here's a preview:
Healthy soil = healthy plants
Our current soil testing only monitors N P K (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous)
Our plants need around ten basic elements to be healthy
The human body needs around 15 elements to be healthy
Our new monitoring system will be for the 15 elements

Also, we are going to no till!! We are going to utilize compost and vermiculture (worm castings) for plant and soil amendments.

Pretty exciting stuff if your a farmer.

I apologize again. It is a big disappointment to have the season come to an end so abruptly.

Thanks for your support,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:08 am 

That's too bad. It was a tough year for gardening (and farming) here, too. Cool, wet and late spring, not enough warm days for 'maters, and a mystery disease called "sudden death" that pops up every few years. Some of my flowers were affected by this disease. One day they are fine, the next day the leaves are mottled brown, and within a couple more days the whole plant is black & dessicated. Yowzers.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:33 am 

So far, things are looking pretty good according to Farmer John. Asparagus is up and I am expecting my second delivery today. It's a good thing, because my first delivery is almost gone. The eggs are coming in faster than I can use them, so I am giving them away. The Strawberry plants have blossoms on them, so we can expect berries in the next 3-4 weeks. It looks like things are coming along better than last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 pm 

The berries were damaged by a frost this year, but I am still am picking more than I can use. It's sad that more members don't pick them, because they are rotting again on the vine. My mom and I picked 11 quarts today and I am going back on Tuesday to pick some more of what's left for the year. My freezer is full again, so I should be good until next year. I am giving away today's berries to family and friends and I will be giving away any berries I pick on Tuesday. It's too bad you people don't live closer to me. For some reason, I really enjoy picking strawberries.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:04 pm 

Strawberries are just coming in here. Next year, when the toddler is a little older, I think I'll try out a CSA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:45 pm 

Tonight might be my last opportunity to pick berries.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

Here's a suggestion for the strawberries: strawberry omlette. You make a big fluffy baked omlette, and then fill it with a mixture of sliced strawberries, sour cream and brown sugar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next