Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite recipe for Vegetable Lasagna?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:49 pm 

Does anyone have a really good recipe for a veggie lasagna? I'm getting ready to start planning our annual Super Bowl party, where we usually have about 40-45 people. Lasagna seems to be the easiest thing I've found both for prep and serving, but I want to mix it up a bit this year. I usually make Cook's Illustrated recipe with the no-boil noodles and make a couple with red meat and a couple with non-red meats. But this year I want to add a vegetarian version. Anyone have a favorite? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Favorite recipe for Vegetable Lasagna?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm 

I've generally found vegetarian lasagne to be quite heavy, since usually a white sauce is used. CI has a fabulous Spinach lasagne if you like that style, but it's very rich. I prefer this one as it's is easy, not that heavy, and very flexible—you can use whatever's vegetables are good:

I like a combination of onions, yellow squash, red peppers, and mushrooms with a homemade roasted tomato-garlic sauce – you can substitute jarred pasta sauce if you like. Eggplant, zucchini, and a green like kale or spinach would also make a good addition or substitution. These instructions give you the option of a 3- or 4-layer lasagna.

This lasagne can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen. If refrigerated add at least 10 minutes to both the cooking time under the foil and the time without the foil (cheese should be browned and the edges should be bubbling when done). If frozen, bake without defrosting for one hour; then remove the foil and continue to bake until browned and bubbling.

Serves 9

Ingredients
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 6 cups assorted vegetables, chopped into ½ - ¾ inch pieces
• Salt and pepper
• 15-ounces ricotta cheese
• 2 large eggs
• 1 recipe of roasted tomatoes with garlic, pureed, (using 2 ½ - 3 pounds of tomatoes) – will need 3 cups of tomato sauce
• 9-12 sheets no-cook lasagna noodles
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 8 ounces Mozzarella, shredded

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line one baking sheet with aluminum foil. Sprinkle the foil with one tablespoon oil and spread to coat the foil. In a bowl, toss the 6 cups of assorted vegetables with two tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper and spread on the aluminum foil. Roast until soft and browned at the edges, turning the vegies at about 30 minutes. Will take 45 minutes to an hour. (Can be prepared ahead).
3. Meanwhile, add the ricotta cheese, eggs, and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; stir until well combined.
4. Reduce oven to 350 when the vegetables are finished roasting.
5. In a 9 x 13-inch pan, spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce. Lay a row of 3 lasagna sheets side-by-side, but not touching. Top with half of the ricotta cheese mixture. You can add another 3 lasagna sheets here if you want four layers of pasta.
6. On either the ricotta or the new pasta sheets, add one-third of the remaining tomato sauce followed by one-third of the roasted vegetables. Top with one-third of the Parmesan cheese, and one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the row of 3 lasagna sheets and top with remaining ricotta cheese, another 1/3 of the tomato sauce,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 pm 

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/roasted-red-pepper-lasagna/329/

I've made this recipe quite a few times and everyone (even the meat eaters) has liked it. It holds well in the fridge unbaked. I've never tried freezing it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Oh, I usually sub a bag of frozen spinach, defrosted and sneezed out for the fresh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:50 pm 

Thank so much, Carey and Lindsay. I think I have plenty of time to try both of these out and see what works for me. I appreciate it!
I'm not so much a white sauce fan either, so I will use up some of my frozen braised tomatoes from summer for these.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Tip ... I use fresh pasta sheets instead of noboil noodles.

I have a recipe too, but I'm on the tablet right now. Also the one I have written out is for summer veggies, so it doesn't help you much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:08 am 

Thanks, Fuzzy. I'd still like your recipe when you have some time. Which summer veggies do you use? Subsitutions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Cookie,

Here ya go: http://www.fuzzychef.org/lasagna-per-lestate-di-fabio/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:12 am 

Thanks, Fuzzy!