Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas !
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:26 pm 

Jean, I was going to suggest doing some PC stuff when you are home. Cuban Pot Roast (made in the PC with eye of round) yields a lot as is good the next day and wonderful after freezing. I also make my beef stew in the PC and freeze it. I was thinking you could make meals ahead and freeze them. The pc stakes a lot less time than braises. I always cook extra and freeze for a second meal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 pm 

Aarg! DH has announced he wants to eat low carb. Anyone have any low carb soup or one dish ideas that freeze well? If I have to live on the cheese omlettes/meat and plain lettuce salads that he thinks constitutes a meal plan this will not end well! I've looked online, but I'm not inclined to go the route of the cheese/cream cheese/cream/grease fest casseroles that seem to predominate those sites. I'd rather aim for lean proteins and lots of non-starchy veggies. Help!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:18 am 

Low carb does not have to mean no carbs. Lean proteins, green veggies. If you can check some of the old Atkins books out of the library, they have lots of good recipes, for example onions has more carbs than cucumbers, so there is a nice chicken recipe that subs cucumbers for the onion. There are decent low carb pastas as well.

We try to eat low carb as much as possible, harder in winter though. Is he following a specific group or just the idea in general?

DH's son did Paleo for a while and Steve made noises like he wanted to do it too. I told him go ahead, but I was not going to. He was responsible for his meal until he did more reading and decided it was not a good idea. He stills eats more healthy than I do (e.g., lots of broccoli which I don't like), but no extremes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 pm 

He wants to do 'strict Atkins induction phase'. So 20g of carbs/day or less, and eliminating all fruit, nuts, legumes, whole grains, and starchy vegetables, while eating primarily meat, cheese, eggs, and a limited variety/quantity of vegetables. Its going to be harder for me, as I normally eat a fair amount of plain Greek yogurt, fruit, legumes, and whole grain breads, whereas he acts like I'm killing him with all of that stuff. I tried to discuss the option of keeping our morning green smoothie (1/2 cup mixed field berries, 1-2 cups greens - usually baby spinach or baby kale, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbsp flax meal, and a scoop of unsweetened protein powder, for a total of 7 net carbs per serving), but no go. I've agreed to this for one week, and we will revisit.

So we had a discussion about health, how the newer versions of the plan emphasize getting at least 15 net carbs/day from vegetables, and how I'm not doing a saturated fat fest. We've agreed to emphasize lean proteins and non-starchy veggies, so I imagine that we will be doing a lot of grilled/roasted meat and veg meals. My plan is to stock the freezer with some puréed cauliflour, maybe some spinach/tomato/feta burger patties, and some satay chicken and souvlaki pork that I will marinate before freezing. I'm also trying a few soup recipes today. One is a jambalaya (no roux or rice, but loaded with chicken breast, bell peppers, and spice), one is a cabbage and kielbasa soup (lots of cabbage, a bit of mirepoix, and moderate amounts of kielbasa), and a meatball stew with lots of spinach, cabbage, a moderate amount of mirepoix, and some canned diced tomatoes. I used reduced fat prepared meatballs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:09 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
Jean, I was going to suggest doing some PC stuff when you are home. Cuban Pot Roast (made in the PC with eye of round) yields a lot as is good the next day and wonderful after freezing. I also make my beef stew in the PC and freeze it. I was thinking you could make meals ahead and freeze them. The pc stakes a lot less time than braises. I always cook extra and freeze for a second meal.

Thanks Alina, I freeze a lot of meals but rarely stews/braises, I really should do more of those since I can freeze them in casserole/pyrex dishes to go in the oven in the morning and just have the oven turn on. And the PC would be perfect for that. thanks for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:59 pm 

Ooooohhh Carey, poor you. You're a better wife than me!

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:13 pm 

Keeping with the tradition Russ and I established 16 years ago (skipping only 1 yr), we'll be flying to Los Angeles Monday morning to spend the holidays with my family. Since I'll be busy having a blast with them I most likely won't be checking here often so, I wanted to wish you all an early Merry Christmas greeting and happy and healthy New Year!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:02 pm 

Same to you Nancy!