Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moosewood Ginger miso Dressing
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:10 pm 

We ate at the Moosewood Restaurant 2 years ago and I had a delicious Ginger Miso Dressing that I've been dying to re-create at home. Found the recipe that summer but never got around to making it, until today. And I must share, or actually gush. I'm so g-d proud of myself and DH is still raving. I actually thought "outside the book". I wanted to make a simple salad to accompany asian flavored chicken we were BBQing and I wanted to keep it simple since this was a big day in the garden. Read the descriptions in the dressing recipe and thought, hmmn, this might taste good as a dressing for preshredded broccoli slaw that was on sale today for $1.19.

I made the dressing in the morning then dressed the slaw about an hour before serving. About 20 minutes before serving I added a little s/p and crushed red pepper. So simple, so light and so refreshing. And great asian flavors. As i'm writing Russ just got up for a 3rd serving (but that could also have to do with the Mets :)). I feel so the alpha peacock right now and just wanted to share.

I know it's sounds like a little thing but its also a sign that I'm getting my cooking mojo back!!!!!

Nance

Post subject: Re: Moosewood Ginger miso Dressing
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 pm 

Nancy
Glad the mojo is coming back and know the garden will be spectacular....cooking and gardening ae both great therapies!
ilene

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:19 am 

So is this great & wonderful recipe written in white letters-on-white background such that my failing orbs are unable to discern it in your commentary or are you just messing with our heads & gullets? :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:03 pm 

Opps, I didn't post the recipe. My mistake. Let me upload it and I'll try to post it in the next few minutes.

I need to add that the slaw was almost better the second day. A more refined and mellow taste and the slaw itself maintained its crunch. Russ was still talking about it today. He calls this a breakthrough recipe, "ingenious".

I think we need to get out more ;)

Nance

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:24 am 

I looked on the Moosewood site, and they post a lot of their recipes, but not this one. So, perhaps you could share....?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:55 pm 

Going to do it right now. sorry for the delay. Life got in the way. Checkered with a little vodka and lemonade :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm 

Here it is. So simple and so very good. The slaw was still good today. From the cookbook Moosewood Restaurant Daily Specials.

Moosewood Ginger Miso Dressing

Ingredients
3/4 cup canola oil*
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil**
1/4 cup cider or rice vinegar***
1/4 cup light miso
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
1/2 cup water

Combine canola oil, sesame oil, vinegar, miso and ginger in blender and whirl until smooth. With the blender still running, add the water in a thin, steady stream; the dressing will become thick and creamy.

This dressing will keep for several weeks covered and refrigerated. If it separates, just shake well and whisk or puree again in the blender.

This dressing is excellent with salads or pita sandwiches of fresh spinach, grated carrots, sliced cucumbers and Baked Seasoned Tofu (pg 336). It can also give an Asian twist to lightly steamed broccoli and makes a tasty salad of grated jicama or turnip. This is the dressing for a tossed salad to serve with Chinese Velvet Corn Soup (pg 116), Wonton Soup (pg 104), Ozoni (pg 48), Everyday Split Pea Soup (pg 77).

*I used 1/2 cup oil and it was fine.
**I used regular sesame oil. I don't have dark
***Used rice vinegar
Next time I'm going to try adding a little spiceheat - maybe some siracha.

Enjoy! You won't be disappointed.

Nancy