Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Christmas feasting
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:40 pm 

Linda wrote:
Speaking of glazed carrots... I saw Ree Drummond make whiskey-glazed carrots recently and decided to try her recipe. I think the only real difference is that there's a half cup of Jack Daniels added to the glaze. Really wonderful!

I'm so glad you mentioned that recipe, Linda. I had made it a few times in years' past but had kind of forgotten about it, plus for whatever reason I don't gravitate to PW recipes like I used to. But after you mentioned it I decided to do those instead today and I think they're easier than CI's (no fresh lemon juice at the end) and just as delicious if not more so (maybe because of the addl. sugar plus the booze). And this time I just used the bagged "baby" carrots and sliced them down the middle and they were sooooo good with so much less work than peeling/slicing whole carrots. Thanks so much!

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:04 pm 

A long progression of banquet dinners for us. This is the menu from NYE last year:

New Year's Eve menu, 12/31/13

New Year's Eve menu, 12/31/13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:20 am 
Site Admin

Pete,

Like the addition of nutritional info this year. Also, yay baked Alaska.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 am 

Normally there's a spa section of the menu with the nutrition info filled in but for NYE they may have decided there would not be enough takers.

Lamb, duck and filet are in our top 5 with the lobster tail close behind so we behaved like Americans on holiday...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 am 

Christmas Eve: Surf and Turf (filet and lobster tails), steamed asparagus and the Serious Eats Hasselback Potato Casserole. Dessert will be lemon meringue pie with the last of the lemon curd from making lemoncello.

Christmas Day: Heading to Dad's house, so I will eat what I am given and be happy I am the guest. ;)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:28 pm 

Have no clue what will be on the menu Christmas Day. I usually make lasagne but since it will only be the boys and us, won't be doing that this year. Maybe Unbreaded Cuban Steak with homemade French Fries.

Christmas Eve which is also my son Jeremy's birthday will be his favorite meal Cuban Roast Pork with Mojo, Black Beans and Rice and salad. For dessert per his request, Homemade Oreos and Chocolate Chip Cookies with added M&Ms.

Today I'll be making CI's Bacon Glazed Meatoaf and freezing it for later, and Marilyn's Toffee. Sometime this week I'll be making Joel's favorite, my adaptation of Chicken Francese with Grand Marnier Flambé.

Notice that in true Cuban style, veggies will be an afterthought. I'm determined not to stress and just enjoy having both boys (37 and 34) at home.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

That explains the limited vegetable recipes in Cuban cookbooks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:03 am 

Josh, we eat a lot of fresh fruit, often that is what is served for dessert. Veggies, even those that require cooking, are often served cold as part of a salad, so all kind of greens, carrots, corn, peas, beets, avocado, onions, etc., or when hot, as part of a soup or potage. So if you look at soup/potage recipes you will find the cooked veggies there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:30 am 

I only have two things that I am making, the rest others will be making! Both are things I have to make every year since I first made them - the Butterscotch Pumpkin pie, from bon appétit, and the Sweet and Salty Brownies, from the CB Baked Expressions (or was it the Baked Elements book? not sure...). The Christmas after the first time I made those brownies my cousin told me that all she wanted was a recipe of those brownies! I offered her the recipe for those brownies, but that's not what she wanted! LOL

Tomorrow I will bake all of my cookies! I am really late this year, and light, too - only used 6 lbs of butter. Still, 23 recipes of cookies should be enough. ;)