Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Oreos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm 

My son has requested homemade Oreos for his birthday. I tried the KAF ones a few years back misread the butter and ended up with hockey pucks, so I have that recipe and Smitten Kitchen filling. I have Keller's recipe including the white chocolate filling. I also have Joann Chang's from the first Flour book with the butter vanilla filling. I am leaning toward the Chang ones pending feedback.

Which should I make? Would love feedback on these recipes. Thanks so much.

Post subject: Re: Help with Oreos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:15 am 

I don't know much about white chocolate or butter filling, but we have made Emily Luchetti's Stareo cookies with sweetened mascarpone for more than twenty years and offer it as one more TNT option.

Stareo Cookies from Emily Luchetti's Star Desserts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:01 am 

Jim, those look amazing.

Alina, I've used a simple cream/powdered sugar (from Canadian living) filling before and thought it was closest to a real Oreo. I cannot stand white chocolate in any way, shape or form so the Keller one has never appealed to me. Let me see if I can find the CL one.
Here it is - they are technically supposed to be like Oreo Cakesters but I found the filling to be like regular oreos. http://canadianbaker.blogspot.ca/2005/1 ... iches.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:07 pm 

Jim, those are beautiful. I'll add the recipe to the collection and then decide.
Jean thanks as well. I used to feel the same way about white chocolate, but found that when I used a good brand and less sugar, I like it. My aversion is so powdered sugar, though of course I use it all the time. But any filling or frosting that uses any other kind has my vote always.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:19 pm 

Alina, I made the TKO's when I got Bouchon Bakery and was definitely not impressed. Something about that white chocolate filling was just weird. (And I usually do like white chocolate.) The end result of my homemade Oreo trials and errors of the past few years were that I liked the KAF wafers and SK filling best. But then, everything Flour is typically delicious and I haven't tried hers yet.

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 pm 

Thanks Emilie, I tried the KAF and messed them up. The Smitten Kitchen filling was OK as I recall. The difference between Chang's and Keller's cookies is that Chang uses both chocolate and cocoa. More than KAF as well. I am leaning toward Chang, but will use part black cocoa, and probably add a bit of espresso. I will probably do test portions of both Keller's and Chang's fillings, and try to avoid the Crisco one, though probably that one comes closest to the original. I've got a bit of time to play.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:37 pm 

Baking Illustrated has a recipes which calls for white chocolate melted and then combined with sour cream. I have never made them, but if you want to look at it let me know. I would of gone ahead and PM'd it to you, but my computer is barely functioning. We are hoping to get through Christmas and currently making sure everything is backed up.

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:05 am 

Thanks Karen. I have Baking Illustrated so I'll look it up. White chocolate and sour cream sound like an interesting combo. I just made a batch of crème fraîche so that might work as well. Good luck with the computer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:22 pm 

I've made Joanne Chang's "Oreo" recipe and enjoyed the taste of the cookie...the chocolate really came through in the cookie. My son and I thought the filling was too sweet. I sent my comments to Joanne and she also thought the filling was too sweet but for some reason her customers like the sweetness. We both admit that being Chinese, our palates are more accustomed to desserts that are less sweet. Hope that helps!

Lu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:46 am 

I made both Chang's and KAF cookies, but only Chang's filling. The reviews were that both cookies were excellent and the filling was good.

The KAF ones were way smaller but cute, really black and closest to real oreos imho. I used their triple cocoa and black cocoa. I will skip the Baker's Ammonia next time, not needed. Both doughs were yummy (I'd rather eat dough than baked cookies).

I thought Chang's cookies were really good and I don't like crisp cookies. They would be great in a pie crust or anything needing a chocolatey crumble. I liked the filling, did not think it was too sweet, but I only used 1 cup of sugar instead of the 1⅔ in the recipe. The consistency was good.

They were too hard to drop and then push with a glass after having been in the fridge overnight. So I ended up doing both cookies the same way, rolling them. I used a small cutter for KAF, and a slightly bigger one for Chang's. The only cookies I roll are rugelah, but Chang's dough was super easy, made large balls with my hands and rolled it to ¼" thick and used a flutted cutter.

Thank you all for your help. I still have dough from both, which I will freeze.