Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate Bundt Cake
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:21 pm 

I have an older Christmas tree bundt cake pan from Nordic Ware and I always make a bundt cake for Christmas. I've always made gingerbread cake but since I'm the only one that really likes it, I thought I'd make Chocolate cake this year. Does anybody have a tried and true chocolalte bundt cake recipe? I'd like it to be really dark and rich. I'll serve peppermint ice cream with it.

Any suggestions?

fitzie

Post subject: Re: Chocolate Bundt Cake
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:03 pm 

Hi Fitzie. I know Meryl has more than one fabulous chocolate cake recipe, as do others, but FWIW, I make this one and people love it. The best part of it is that it gets better the longer it sits. It's not super fancy but it's super easy and really mmmmmmm. (Oh -- and I always use Lyle's in ganache rather than corn syrup, although of course it's not necessary.)

http://leitesculinaria.com/78146/recipes-chocolate-sour-cream-bundt-cake.html

Emilie

p.s. That recipe doesn't make a really tall bundt cake, though, so if your pan is 10-12 cups that's something to consider.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:22 pm 

Fitzie, I wish I could help. FWIW, almost any cake can be made in a bundt pan. All you need is the number of cups the bundt holds. I have a recipe from Kiss My Bundt, but I don't remember making the chocolate one (all the others I've tried have been fantastic). However, I like sour cream or buttermilk in my chocolate cakes, so Emilie's might be the way to go. I was not impressed with CI's sour cream one though. Here's one I have saved to try: Double Chocolate Bundt Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:46 pm 

Both these recipes sound like they will work. Thanks so much.

I don't frost this cake as the mold is pretty detailed and I feel some of the details would be lost if covered with frosting. I sprinkle it with powdered sugar to look like snow.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

I'm making two cakes. The other is olive oil/grand marnier. We Love this cake!

Thanks again.
fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 pm 

I really like the CI sour cream bundt cake - so might be worth a try too. If you need it let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:58 am 

I decided to use the Leite's recipe. Also decided to wait until Christmas Eve to bake it. So, I've used this bundt pan before without any problems. Recipe said it was for a 10-12 cup pan and I poured water into the pan to be sure it was 10-12 cup. Whipped up the batter, poured it into the mold. Can't repeat what I said next. It only filled the pan halfway!!!

So, having a brilliant idea, I got out the Hansel & Gretel house mold, scraped the batter out of the other pan, and poured it into the HG mold. Holy @#%@## it only filled it half way. So I got my old glass German mold, scraped the batter into that and it only filled that halfway. So...............I made another batch of Leite's recipe and poured it into the glass mold. Baked it, smelled wonderful, let it cool, turned it upside down, let it cool for 30 minutes, gently tried to unmold it, it fell out beautifully. Unfortunately only half fell out. By this time it's after 10:00. Made an emergency run to grocer and bought two Duncan Heinz Chocolalte Cake mixes. Stired up the batter, poured it into the original mold, baked it, stayed up until 1:30 waiting for it to cool, Turned the mold over and the cake fell out perfectly. Sprinkled a little powdered sugar over it, put it under my fanciest glass bell, put it on the buffet table and went to bed.

Next day It was pronounced the best cake I've ever made by one and all.

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:40 pm 

Fitzie, I feel your pain. My extended family prefers a box mix to any scratch cake. Shaking my head.
Good on you for persevering. I would have either given up or made trifle from the scraps. Or stuck it back together and called it a day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:34 pm 

Reminds me of my roasting coffee bean days....
Best beans from around the world, we roasted everything, blind tasting, - - - a spouse snuck in a pot of MJB and it won unanimously..
:roll: :? :shock: :( :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:26 pm 

I once worked at a bakery where the owner preferred the flavor of cake mix. We tried and tried to get him to let us make stuff from scratch, but he preferred the mixes.
He also once told me a cup of flour weighed eight ounces.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:26 pm 

Fitzie, I giggled when I read your post. Reminds me of my kids preferring Golden Grain mac and cheese to completely homemade. FWIW, I love brownies and have tried just about every recipe posted, Ina's, Baked, Alice Medrich, etc. and still prefer Duncan Hines Fudgy Chewy ones. The only ones I actually like as well (not necessarily better) are my adapted version of On the Fence brownies from a KAF recipe. Someone suggested those to me on TOBB and they were right on target. I can't remember when I used a cake mix, but I imagine some can be quite good. It is the store bought frosting I can't tolerate.