Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: thanksgiving menus - put them here!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:41 pm 

We are celebrating on T-day for the first time in years, normally my folks go to NY for the day but not this year. Since it's not a day off in Canada (and oddly enough my boss does not think my being American warrants a paid day off) I am making a pumpkin pie tonight and bringing it to my mom's for tomorrow. And since I'm at work right now it will likely be the pie recipe off the pack of the can of packed pumpkin. Part of me really wants to make mini pumpkin tarts instead. We shall see when I get home.
Mom does a traditional meal - turkey with a rice and mushroom stuffing, 3 to 4 kinds of potatoes, cranberry sauce and a mixed salad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:44 pm 

Just the two of us this year, so I'm keeping it simple.

Chicken - spatchcocked & roasted. Neither of us are huge turkey fans, and I don't want a lot of it leftover, so a nice chicken works for us. I'll still make the traditional dishes we like. Mashed rutabaga - stuffing - Brussels sprouts - cranberries baked in cognac. For dessert, bourbon pumpkin pecan pie with maple whipped cream.

I didn't grow up with candied sweet potatoes or green bean casserole, so they don't call out to me. In my Irish family, it was rutabagas, parsnips, potatoes, & Brussels sprouts. I will however, miss the pureed parsnips & mashed potatoes, but it would just be way too much food.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm 

As I am spending the day alone with a cat, a cup of hot tea and a book (maybe two!) I'm just doing a turkey breast in milk with sage, lemon and garlic. I won't even use the slow cooker because I want the house to smell tasty. I might make some stuffing to go with, if I'm feeling very energetic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 am 

Me, too, Becky. Except I'll be with my two dogs, a good book (Grisham's new one is very, very good), a turkey breast, dressing, green bean casserole, and a bottle of Wild Turkey!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:34 am 

I have my first Heritage bird that I will be roasting tomorrow. I broke it down and will roast it in parts and am basically following Kenji's ideas. I am a little nervous. Our plans changed, so it is just DH and I with a 20lb. turkey, so there will be many leftovers. I made CI's Cranberry-apple pie and had a terrible time with my crust. There is a dairy allergy, so I made an all crisco crust(they don't like lard :?: ) and it was not rollable. I patted it in the bottom of the pan the best I could and made a dutch topping with coconut butter...We will see...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Karen

Last edited by Jaxallie on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:47 am 

I just finished baking the pumpkin pie - the only thing I am responsible for (I am always the dessert guy) - and it is the butterscotch pumpkin pie, from bon appetit, which I have been making since it came out i(n 2006 or 2007?). This is a smaller pie - I make it in a deep, 8" tart pan - which is good, since there aren't as many at the dinner as there used to be. My previous favorite was one from Gourmet, in the early 90s, a Brandied Pumpkin Pie, made with cognac. Both are on epicurious, though this is probably too late for this year!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:34 am 

I am having dinner with friends today. I am taking Date Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting. The cake recipe is my grandmothers. I am making the frosting from her recipe as well, but I am going to fold in some whipped cream to lighten it up a little. My cupcakes are finished and now I going to make the frosting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 pm 

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

We are doing a turkey breast sous vide from Kenji's recipe. Crispy skin is done. Mashed potato casserole just needs the bacon, scallion, cheese topping and reheating. Cranberry chutney is done and good I think, with a little bite. Test recipe for chard will be the veg.

Pie crust in fridge for Apple Bourbon Pecan Pie, though I'm not sure how it will turn out. Ran out of GM AP flour (thought I had some KAF but could not find it) so I used part pastry flour (it was very wet so I set the dough on a paper towel to weigh before dividing) will roll and bake later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 pm 

talanhart wrote:
I am having dinner with friends today. I am taking Date Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting. The cake recipe is my grandmothers. I am making the frosting from her recipe as well, but I am going to fold in some whipped cream to lighten it up a little. My cupcakes are finished and now I going to make the frosting.

Todd-could I have this recipe? My chef is asking for stuff using dates.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:32 pm 

I bought a pie at Costco - sigh :oops:

I did however still use the piecrust I'd taken from the freezer and made a quiche last night for hubby to heat up for tonight's dinner for him and the younger boy as they will be at hockey and will miss the t-day meal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next