Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixing cocoa types?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:26 am 

I'm getting ready to make 200 decorated cookies for my son's wedding next weekend (I'm such an idiot -- volunteered to do them for the favors :roll: ). Half of them will be Dorie Greenspan's sugar cookies (my go-to recipe for decorated cookies) and then half chocolate rolled cookies. The chocolate recipe calls for "dark cocoa" so I'm assuming she means dutched. I have two bags of KAF black cocoa that I've had for a few years and would like to use some of it up. (Was overly zealous when stocking-up, but vacuum sealed them so am trusting it's still good.)

So do you think I should just do about half black and half natural cocoa and that would end up about right? Or would the proportions be more natural and less black?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Emilie

Post subject: Re: Mixing cocoa types?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 am 

I think it would be fine. That KA black cocoa is more about color than flavor and half should give you the color you're looking for. Congrats, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:49 am 

Idk it has a very distinct taste to me. I'm sure it would taste good though. I'd prob do 1 part black to 3 parts natural.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am 

Unless you'd like them to taste like Oreos. Then use all black.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:05 pm 

I love the black cocoa, and always sub it for part of the dutched in my regular brownies. I've also done it for other recipes, but didn't note the amount. It the recipe is not KAF, I'd assume dark cocoa means dutched, so I'd sub no more than a quarter with the black and the rest dutched (I do 1 cup dutched, 1/4 black for the brownies.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:54 pm 

Alina, what if I mix the black cocoa and natural, rather than dutched? The dutched cocoa I have on hand right now is cocoa rouge from KAF and I don't want to add a reddish color to them. That's why I was thinking if I did half and half that the proportions might work out okay..

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:06 pm 

I don't like things I have made with 100% of the black cocoa, but I often use 1/4 black for color, and to use it up, because I'm to cheap to toss it! LOL I often mix other cocoas, as well, as it seems mixes do better than all one type, when I've tested them out before.

Make a small trial batch (or two) and test it this weekend. You can see what they look like, as well as what they taste like.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 pm 

No help here, but I found a new favorite natural cocoa: Guittard high fat natural (non dutched). Adds really good flavor to my new favorite brownies

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ies-102992

:mrgreen:
Nancy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 am 

Natural cocoa will add a reddish color, as well. That's why I hesitated to suggest using 1 part black to 3 parts natural. I figured to you wanted that dark color.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:02 am 

Well I'm back among the living so wanted to say thanks so much for the advice/tips. I ended up just winging it (totally unlike me -- desperate times/desperate measures, I guess)) and just dumped in some black/dutched/natural until I had the weight I needed. It definitely was a good bit darker than dutched alone, and the end result was delicious. In fact, I've always done sugar or gingerbread dough for my decorated cookies, but in the future I might always do chocolate. The dough was really easy to work with when rolling/cutting and didn't spread at all (which is amazing). Also I think even though the royal icing somehow "seals" the cookie and the sugar ones were fine after a week +, the chocolate ones were definitely freshest tasting after that long.

So the 200 cookie "adventure" is over, the wedding was lovely, the honeymooners are happy, and I am SO glad it's all over!!

Thanks,

Emilie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.