Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Bouchon Bakery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 am 

jeanf wrote:
There's the whole issue of how different kosher salts measure differently in volume but I have no idea what type Keller uses. I really want to get a scale for small items.

It is apparent that Keller's conversions refer to Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. I do find it odd that the brand is not specified.

Table Salt 288 gr\cup or 6 grams per teaspoon
Morton Kosher 216 gr\cup or 4.5 grams per teaspoon.
Diamond Crystal 144gr\cup or 3 grams per teaspoon.

The weight of Oatmeal is also a source of interesting variation. The side of my oatmeal package says that a half cup weighs 40 grams that is pretty consistent with Keller's 155 grams for two cups. Measured by volume, two cups old fashioned rolled oats almost always weigh 180-190 grams in my kitchen. Volume measurements have the potential to deliver quite a different cookie from weights.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:08 am 

You're right, Jim. I noticed the large variance in Bouchon's oatmeal weight per cup when it's measured by volume, and also in comparison to the weight specified by other reliable sources. When I looked at several online sources, including KAF's master weight chart, they all specified about 3.5 ounces per cup of regular oats, which is significantly more than Keller's weight in grams. I think the last time I made them I split the difference. That kind of stuff drives me crazy, especially when I realize it in the middle of making a recipe.

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 pm 

I try to use the weight that comes in the package as the volume measure. I've found that to be the most accurate. I did notice the oatmeal weight difference too. I went with the weight not the volume. I find that most authors don't specify the brand of Kosher salt. So if they ever appear on tv. I try to see if it shows. I use Diamond always.

Ottolenghi recipes just say salt, or sea salt, no mention of brand or type usually. Drives me crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 pm 

And God only knows what my Canadian brand of kosher salt measures at. Costco up here just started carrying Diamond so I grabbed a box. I really want a scale for tiny amounts. I tried to find it on this thread but couldn't so will start another thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:06 pm 

Hey Jean, it's this one. Works like a charm!

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Signature-AWS-100-Digital/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1395288254&sr=1-1&keywords=gram+scale

Emilie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7