Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Bouchon Bakery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:43 pm 

I'm loving this book! Today I finally got in my L'Epicerie order. I used Valrhona caramelia chocolate to make lemon caramels. The mixture broke sadly. I once again utilized my trick of adding cold cream. I've had to do this several times with ganache. It worked again.

I think my food processor is doomed. The stem got stripped the other day. Now I can't get the blade or bowl off.

The caramels though are amazing! They are so lemony but in a very caramel texture. Very cool. I can't wait to wrap them.

Post subject: Re: Bouchon Bakery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

I don't know what I'm doing differently exactly, but this book finally has me successfully tempering chocolate! I just dipped my peppermint patties. I'm excited to see what the invertase does to the filling. In a week... 😔

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:42 pm 

I just simmered oranges and vita mixed them to make whole orange purée. I used it to make pate de fruits. It turned out well. It tastes like candied oranges. I wish there was a bit more tartness. Do y'all think I could add a bit of citric acid to the sugar coat or would they weep?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:00 pm 

The Bouchons are amazing! I wasn't expecting them to impress me that much. I need the pan now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:29 pm 

beccaporter wrote:
The Bouchons are amazing! I wasn't expecting them to impress me that much. I need the pan now.

I know, Becca, aren't they awesome? I got two of the pans from W-S online last spring when they had a 20% off one item offer, plus the order qualified for free shipping. They only issue I've had when I've made them several times is they can slump over a bit the very top. Not sure if that's b/c I'm filling the cavities up too high or maybe not baking quite long enough. It's a delicate balance to find just the right time -- I do them convection and in my ovens (which run a tad cool) it works out best to do 14 minutes. If I go even 2 minutes longer than that they end up on the dry side.

And I just used the book yesterday for a candied pecans recipe. Definitely not something awe-inspiring but I've always had issues with the coating not sticking well enough or whatever technique I used just not working as expected. True to form, Keller's technique was perfection. I've got the prettiest and best-tasting candied pecans I've ever had for salad tomorrow.

(And if you haven't tried the oatmeal-raisin cookie recipe in the book, it's a keeper. The best ever, actually!)

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 pm 

beccaporter wrote:
I think my food processor is doomed. The stem got stripped the other day. Now I can't get the blade or bowl off.

You may have already resolved this, but FWIW -- I used to have that problem from time to time with my KA FP and the way I figured out to knock the blankety-blank blade loose was to put a few big hunks of hard cheese in there and pulse. They usually would bang it loose. (Although the last time it happened I said 'no more' and got a Breville Sous Chef for my birthday as a replacement. It was pricey but is a phenomenal machine.)

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 pm 

I bought the book this weekend. Someone mentioned the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe was great - that was my tipping point :D
(Edited to say thanks Emilie)

One notable thing the reviews on Amazon said was that the ingredients and equipment may not be items you have on hand. Vanilla paste comes to mind.

Once I can get the vanilla paste, we can do the cookies.

In the meanwhile, it is just great to read this book.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:36 pm 

Ken, I made my own. I used the spent pods from my vanilla extract plus agave nectar and a few other ingredients. You can find the recipe by googling.

The oatmeal raisin cookies are outstanding.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:09 am 

I decided to make the oatmeal raisin cookies late last night as a treat for my son to bring to a hockey game. The entire time I was hoping they would either suck or not be that much better, if any, than my normal recipe. Damn, they are great. My only peeve (other than the time involved - note to self, do not start these at 11 pm next time and read the direction that says to let the cookie balls come to room temperature before baking) is that they are way too big, even when made as 12 cookies instead of 6. Has anyone made these smaller?

Last edited by jeanf on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:15 am 

Just a slight hijack: we spent 18 days in Yountville, Calif. this past summer, we lived 2 blocks from the bakery........... :D :shock:

I had read the book when it first came out and loved it; eating the products was even better :lol: :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next