Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winner, winner, piggy dinner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:38 pm 

Found out it's likely a Yorkshire/Hampshire cross, but possibly a Minnesota No. 3 (descended from Gloucestershire). So the good news is fat should be abundant.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:47 am 

I think you should try to arrange an introduction before the fateful day to establish a relationship. Kathy has never wanted to do that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 am 

No suggestions. Just want to add that I am soooooooooooooooo jealous.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 am 

I remember (hopefully correctly) when Crystal became attached to her pig and didn't want to (and possibly did not) slaughter it. When she got another pig, Rhonda suggested she just name it Hormel...or, maybe it was Bacon.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11 pm 

I just got an email from my CSA offering me a 1/2 pig. Not the best timing as I'm spouseless until November, but I'm tempted nonetheless. It's going to be either a hampshire/yorkshire cross or could be a red wattle/hampshire cross, and the hanging weight is $3.99/lb.

How does this compare with what you guys get/pay?

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm 

ISTR that $3.99 is more than we have paid in the past, but aren't you talking about more of an "heirloom" pig than your usual American porker?

We usually end up with disappointingly little fat on the belly also. Can they give you an idea of what the hanging weight will be?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:03 am 

I'm all about the shanks at this time of the year. In my experience, sausage, even when shrink wrapped(the Amish here do an excellent job of processing) doesn't keep for extended periods-

Amy,
That was Hamburger, the cow! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:04 pm 

I'm bumping this thread up from two years ago....Darcie, I was wondering if you remember how you ended up getting your hog butchered. I just got off the phone with the meat locker that is going to be butchering my half of a Berkshire/Hampshire cross and was very disappointed in their lack of help and information. It seems that I can't get both some fresh and some smoked from any primal,so I opted for fresh. I can only get either ground pork or sausage, not both. Whenh it came to the loin I asked for blade chops center loin roast with bones and sirloin roast with attached bones. The girl filling out my card seemed very confused and did not know what I was talking about. Not having ever bought a half of hog before, and having only recent knowledge of any of any hog butchery, I was hoping for help and guidance. Has customer service really left us, or are my expectations on what is available for my order out of whack?

Thanks all,
Karen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:56 am 

I think I'd spend my money somewhere else and let the higher-ups at the company know why. You deserve better customer service.

fitz

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:22 am 

Well, I called and talked to the owner of the locker and have decided to cancel my order. He was rude, I was actually shaking by the end of the call. I asked if we could go over my card and if I could get more information. He responded with, "what do you want to know", and it went down from there. I asked if he could package the leaf lard separate from the fat back lard, "no". I asked about skirt steaks like Tim suggested earlier in this thread and he said "that is in beef", which to my knowledge is incorrect.I finally said that I was not very happy with the service here and he told me he did not want my business and that I was rude to his employee. My jaw was on the floor. I have never experienced anything like this.

So sad....
Karen