Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Duck Confit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 am 

Last night I used one of the legs to make duck ravioli. Shredded the confit then mixed in some sauteed shallots, more garlic, more duck fat and a few chopped dried cherries. I used the rilettes as a filling for the ravioli. I wanted some fresh apple or pear, but having neither, I tried apple cider, cider vinegar, cognac, cream & gorgonzola cheese as the sauce.

The flavors were good, but it wasn't spectacular in total. I'd like to try again, but am looking for ideas to solve the problems. The filling needed more moisture. I was afraid that another cheese wouldn't work, so maybe I should put the cheese into the filling instead of the sauce? Same with the fruit - the cherries disappeared - I'm thinking dicing up some apple or pear would be better. I'm not sure what else to do - maybe more duck fat in the filling??? I don't want it to get too greasy, though. What would you add to the filling to make it moister & creamier?

If I put the fruit and/or cheese inside, then what would I do for a sauce? With a strong cheese both inside and out, the duck might get lost. Any ideas? I'm sure that duck ravioli can go from just good to fabulous, and would love some advice for getting it there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:32 am 

I did an event last year where I made verrines with duck confit. If my memory serves it was a layer of porcini mousse, then a layer of confit, then a layer of freshly made ricotta (easy to make) and topped with a cherry compote (lightly). It worked really, really well. A couple of people said it was the best thing they'd ever put in their mouth.

You may want to save the cherries for the sauce and add some porcini and ricotta to the ravioli. Also, I'd sauté the duck leg to crisp the skin and include some of that in your filling. It's super tasty.

Some thoughts...

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 am 

What if you used something tarter, like goji berries? Or macerated the cherries? Or leave them larger? I make a veal ravioli that has ricotta with lemon rind in the sauce.You could do orange in there, great with the porcinis too. Love using the idea of the crispy skin in there too. You are a girl genius, Amy.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 am 

Porcinis - ricotta - fruit

Your ideas sound great. I'll give it another go this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 am 

Another thought...

I think the skin may not work inside the ravioli...it might get mushy. But, I like the idea of using it. Make cracklings with the skin, chop them fine, and garnish finished dish with them.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:04 pm 

Heading home from Cuba today and laying over in Ft. Lauderdale. Had a meal at the Harbor Beach Marriott restaurant called 3030...too tired to venture out, the duck confit salad was amazing! Everything else paled in comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:37 pm 

We had duck confit tonight which had been aging a few weeks in the fridge. I made it traditional style, since this predates the circulator. I had the same reaction I always have: why do I wait so long in between doing this? I need to catch a good sale on duck legs and get some backstock of this put away!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 am 

New use for duck confit: Fried rice. Seriously. I made some fried rice last night, from 'contents of fridge/freezer'. Needed meat (it was the main course), so pulled some chicken tenders. Thought, hmm, this needs something with a little more depth and flavour, tenders ain't gonna do it, look, confit! So put some confit in there too. It was great! It really fit well in the fried rice. Also in there: ginger, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, scallions, garlic, chicken tenders and, of course, rice (basmati, actually, not a tradition variety but works).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:58 pm 

Thanks Lindsay, looks good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:39 pm 

yum! :mrgreen: