Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cocoa Tasting
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 pm 

I have Rodelle now and haven't found it objectionable. Fry's (dutched) is the main brand up here and Costco used to carry a huge tin but switched to Rodelle and I picked it up the last time. I miss having my hot chocolate recipe right on the container like Fry's.
Merstar, I buy Saco buttermilk powder whenever I'm in the US, very handy to have and works great. Especially love it for Darcie's pancake recipe!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
BTW, I found that Saco's cocoa at Amazon, and was tempted to buy some, but resisted. When I need some, I'll get that, and maybe some DeZaan, since it has been years since I had that.

Dave,

I saw Saco at Amazon, but didn't want to buy a whole case - even *I* can't go through them that fast! But, if you want to buy them by the case, your best bet may be to order them directly from Saco. I had emailed them awhile back, and they quoted me about $32.00 a case plus shipping, as opposed to Amazon, which is about $50-something including shipping.

P.S. I just looked and saw a single container at Amazon for $12.95, but that's a total rip-off, since it sells for about $4.00 in the stores. The only problem is, they're sold in very few stores, as opposed to their buttermilk, which is pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by merstar on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 pm 

Merstar,

Amazon also has a 10 oz for $12.95, and three 10 oz for $23 of Saco, shipping included.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 pm 

Ha! We were posting at the same time, when I was typing in my P.S.!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:35 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Merstar, I buy Saco buttermilk powder whenever I'm in the US, very handy to have and works great. Especially love it for Darcie's pancake recipe!

Jean,
I have their powdered buttermilk, but have never tried it. I usually make my own substitute with milk and vinegar - will have to check it out.
Thanks!

Last edited by merstar on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
Merstar,

Amazon also has a 10 oz for $12.95, and three 10 oz for $23 of Saco, shipping included.

Dave,

I couldn't find the three 10 oz for $23, shipping included. Are you sure that was for Saco?

By the way, since I discovered this cocoa fairly recently, I've only done taste tests with hot chocolate, and I believe I did one for chocolate pudding. I haven't tried it in baking yet - I'm still using up my precious El Rey.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:19 am 

Merstar,

Here is the 3/$12 Seco Cocoa. I added the $11 shipping when I described it.

Uh oh...something weird happened. When I clicked on the link, to see if it was OK, it was no longer available - it must have been one of those things somebody had one of, and somebody got it as I posted it here! It had it down as "one available from $12"' originally, but usually that means from one place.

Hopefully they'll get more, but I have a feeling that was a one time thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 pm 

Too bad - that would have been a much better deal than the $12.95 for one container!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:02 pm 

My thoughts exactly! Looking at that suppliers site, they had a small number of a bunch of things - probably buys too much, and sells the rest...like a case of cocoa was probably too much! LOL But then, if it's that good, maybe not...

I really don't have anyone around here to split things like that with, and I don't use it like I do flour.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
My thoughts exactly! Looking at that suppliers site, they had a small number of a bunch of things - probably buys too much, and sells the rest...like a case of cocoa was probably too much! LOL But then, if it's that good, maybe not...

I really don't have anyone around here to split things like that with, and I don't use it like I do flour.

Same here. Too bad we don't live near each other - we'd have great fun splitting various chocolates and cocoas, and doing taste tests together! I've been living in NC for the past 7 1/2 years, and am a transplanted New Yorker going through culture shock everyday. I figure you're not anywhere near here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next