Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: French bread test of Honeywell Artisan Bread flour VS KA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 am 

Thanks, Todd. The two I was thinking of were the strawberries and the raspberries; another flavor I like is pineapple, but I almost always have that on hand fresh, and I get over-ripe bananas from my Mom all the time. I never thought of adding powdered egg whites to smoothies for protein. I add leftover tofu frequently, and I usually add chia seeds, for fiber, and it thickens it, also.

Yeah, 50 lbs is a LOT of flour, but I never buy bread, so I'll use it up eventually. I also put it in large foodsaver bags - 5 of them, after 8 1/2 lbs in my canister - and those went into a sealed container, so it should keep until I use it up. Family and friends are glad when I start experimenting in my "bakery"!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 am 

Dave, I'm going to ask a question on behalf of those of us who get totally muddled when it comes to food science. At least I think there's got to be at least one other person out there like me :).

So I bake a lot of various types of breads -- dinner rolls, pain de me, the master recipe from Artisan Bread in 5, brioche, etc. However it's not typical for them to actually call for bread flour. Most of the time it's A-P. So is this flour one that could be used for those purposes, or does it really just work with recipes that call for bread flour?

It's easy for me to go through 50 pounds of flour (for a long time I've exclusively bought KA -- one of the warehouse clubs in my area carries their A-P in 10# bags for about 7 bucks), so I'd love to try the one you're talking about. But it would only make sense if it would be useful for the types of breads I typically make.

Thanks!

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 am 

Emilie,

KA's flours generally have higher protein levels than many other brands. IIRC KA AP is around 11.7 or 11.8 and their bread flour is one percentage point higher. I just checked the chart on the Honeyville site, and their bread flour has 12% protein, so generally, yes you'd be able to use their bread flour in lieu of KA AP.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am 

Thanks so much, Amy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm 

Hi Emilie,

As Amy stated, the protein (i.e. gluten, though there is other protein in there) is almost the same as in KAF AP, which is actually a little higher than most AP flours, which is why I get the Gold Medal or store brand (whatever's cheapest at the time!) for cookies. This is also why the KAF loaves rose higher in my test in the same time - I added bread flour to it, making a recipe calling for half and half AP and bread, which you will often see, but they mean regular AP. If I had thought about it I would have used all KAF AP, to get a closer gluten amount.

Those recipes calling for half bread and half AP flours are probably designed for home bakers from recipes using these artisan flours (usually unavailable to us), so they used regular AP and bread flours, bringing the gluten to about the 12%. Recipes calling specifically for bread flour could be made with the artisan, but you'd probably have to increase the amount of flour a little, and knead it a little longer. And recipes like rye, calling for the bread flour mainly for the gluten, are best made with the regular bread flour. Plus, the flavor will sort of be lost with the whole grain flours in those breads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm 

Thanks very much, Dave. I'm going to order a bag as soon as I get a special offer (I signed up for their emails, hopefully they'll include discounts). So if it's basically equivalent to KA A-P as far as protein, and I use that KA flour for all of my cakes (which I have for years), then I'm assuming I can use this flour for those too. Once I get it I'll use it in several different types of recipes and report back!

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 pm 

I'll have to do a basic sugar cookie test, and see if the flavor will be better, and if the texture or anything else will be affected. Years ago, I did some cookies with bread flour by accident (my helper dumped a bag of it in the canister, not knowing there were different flours! LOL), and I knew something was wrong before they came out of the oven (they did not rise normally), and they were much harder - not crumbly. This is why I never used the slightly higher protein KAF AP for those kind of things, despite hearing Ok reports on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm 

FWIW, I used KA AP flour for cookies for years and they turned out great. Now I mostly use KA white whole wheat except in a few cases where it just doesn't turn out to be aesthetically pleasing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:27 pm 

Well, I got me some hard red winter wheat and will see how the flavour/texture is! It had better be good, I got 50 lbs :) I'm looking forward to trying it out, just gotta burn through a little more of my store first...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:15 pm 

Emilie, I am so glad you asked that question. It was mine as well. The current 20% offer runs through next Tuesday.

I am still debating. I too would need to use it for cakes and cookies in addition to bread. After using KAF AP for a few years, I've reverted back to Gold Medal as my regular AP flour, meaning that is the one in my wonderful big glass jar. I do keep some KAF AP in another jar, but use it only when that is the one recommended by the recipe or for breads. I got my chocolate chip cookie mojo back and am convinced one of the reasons was the switch back to GM.

I had not thought of using dried fruit in smoothies, visions of added sugar. DH will now have smoothies again a couple of times a day now that the weather is warmer. The powdered egg whites idea is great.

I wonder how meringues would work with the powdered whites? I would love to make some as my recipe has less sugar than commercial ones, making them a bit healthier when I want sweets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next