Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NYT Reviews Guy Fieri
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 am 

Pete Wells, has anybody told you how scathingly brilliant and funny your “review” of Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar is? Did you see Guy on the Today show? Did he succeed in convincing the audience that you had another agenda? Did You? Isn’t it fun to take a shot at a pop icon? Isn’t it a bummer to miss? Is there any truth to the rumor that your inbox is filling up with requests from The View and The Chew for you to appear jointly with Guy? Are you going to become a pop icon too? Are you as scared of Whoopi and Baba as I am? Did you intend for Le Bernardin and Guy Fieri to appear in the same paragraph in hundreds of newspapers across America? Is anybody still defending your humour sketch as a serious restaurant review? Is Guy Fieri going to represent the pinnacle of your career as a writer and journalist? Does that depress you? Are you as big a fan of Twinkies as I am.? Does their demise depress you even more? Do you have the number of a Good Grief! counselor?

Thank You.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:35 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Reviews of good movies in general are not so entertaining.

Indeed. I use to seek out the 1/2 star Ebert reviews; they were exceedingly entertaining. I even went to see some of the movies afterword, and they ended up with that whole so-bad-its-entertaining, especially why you have a guide going in. 2-star movies are the worst ones; not bad enough to be outrageous, but not interesting either. Just plain boring. D&D was fairly epically bad.

As to Guy Fieri; he bugs the shit out of me. I don't think he is sincere, and I don't think so of the places he praises has good food; it is just outrageously prepared food, in some cases.

I'm quite fond of 'low-brow' food and will go to great lengths for a great burger, etc. "Simple" food can be exceedingly great, and whenever I hear someone say "It's just mashed potatoes" or "It's just a hamburger", I think they don't get it. However, I think Guy (or his producers at least) is turning it into an anti-intelluctalism thing, not a great simple/homestyle/etc. food thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:11 pm 

The NYT farms out the Olive Garden reviews to this lady.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:47 pm 

I actually quite enjoyed Guy's old show, he was personable and his dishes were accessible to newer cooks. But that's just me.
FN is stopped being about serious cooking a while ago, but anything that gets people cooking at home is good in my books. DD&D is one of those shows that is you see is a few times you can tell when he's really enjoying something versus just playing up the show. I really really wish he'd change his look though. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:15 am 

Hi,

My son actually ate at Guy Fieri's restaurant and declared it the worst meal ever.

Hamburgers are cooked to medium-well in the morning. They are then seared for service.
    Meat loaf has little flavor and was served at room temp.
    The mashed potatoes were made with no cream or butter and served cold.
    The restaurant was packed with rural Midwestern fans.

There is talk of a pop-up copycat restaurant in Times Square.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:04 pm 

ugh! sounds awful!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:24 pm 

Oh yuck. It's not even to the standards of diners, drive ins, and dives, and there aren't many of those places that I think I'd eat at....but at least they make everything (horrifyingly fattening as it may be) to order. That's just sad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:24 am 

Below is a link to the NYTimes to a follow-up Q&A with Peter Wells about the infamous review and the life of a food critic.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/dining/questions-for-pete-wells-restaurant-critic.html?hp&_r=0&pagewanted=all

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm 

Excellent article, wino, thoroughly enjoyed that. I've not yet had a pasta salad that has overcome my doubts; however, I do like raw green peppers (sliced very thinly, though), so there you go. The pasta salad thing is weird though; it is one of the very few foods I've almost universally disliked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm 

I enjoy learning about how others critique. I belonged to an art critics group and occassionally we would explore this through books devoted to this other realm or, after another bottle of scotch, listen to what each other felt they used to make their judgments. :lol: :D :o