Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: avocado tip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm 

Sorry about the non-colo(u)rful linky. I always seem to have craptastic luck making my links all pretty and stand-outish. I was also in a bit of a hurry because Geekboy was chomping at the bit to tear my computer apart and replace my 60gb hard drive with 2 500 gb hard drives and I was equally anxious to let him get to it. Now I can store all my GOG games and my Living Cookbook recipes!

As for avocados, like anything even mildly spendy, I tend to tease out the goodness as long as possible, so I often save half for another meal rather than just chow it down like I wanna. Very careful wrapping in plastic works pretty well, but this looked easier, especially if chopped onion is going to go into the future recipe, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:21 am 
Site Admin

JB,

Well, I'd love you to try it and report back.

And: GOG?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:05 am 

GOG=Good Old Games. DRM-free games from your wild miss-spent youth, provided you miss-spent your youth in front of a computer screen. I'm currently working through all of the Heroes of Might and Magic campaigns. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Paul,

Misspelled. :-p

Hey, that is allowed usage now-a-days. I'm all for normalizing the damn language!

Quote:
Also, based on that link, you are a sick, sick man.

Oh yes. Also, I like to send links like that to my wife so she can be outraged :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 am 

JesBelle wrote:
GOG=Good Old Games. DRM-free games from your wild miss-spent youth, provided you miss-spent your youth in front of a computer screen. I'm currently working through all of the Heroes of Might and Magic campaigns. :D

Outside of the arcade, one of the early games I didn't play was Adventure (or some clone of it), carefully typed in from a magazine over quite some period. After I typed it in, I played it for about 5 minutes, looked at the source, figured out the optimum path and didn't bother playing, since I already knew the solution. I repeated this pattern with games many times. Sometimes I just played for a bit, figured out how to cheat, then got bored with the game 'cause I knew I could cheat. In the majority of games, beating the copy protection was more of a game then the game, so I did that. Wrote my own disassembler (and assembler ... man, when I first used a commercial macro assembler, what a revelation!) from scratch in basic. Continued to not play many many games (though I did play Tribes 2 pro in a pro league for a bit)...I now enjoy console games because cheating is more bother then the reward.

I did enjoy the crap outta Zork though. And HHGTTG, even if that damn babelfish almost drove me insane. Of course, now you could just google all the answers, you wouldn't even have to log into 10 different BBS's, so that would kinda kill a lot of the fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:59 pm 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
JesBelle wrote:

Outside of the arcade, one of the early games I didn't play was Adventure (or some clone of it), carefully typed in from a magazine over quite some period. After I typed it in, I played it for about 5 minutes, looked at the source, figured out the optimum path and didn't bother playing, since I already knew the solution. I repeated this pattern with games many times. Sometimes I just played for a bit, figured out how to cheat, then got bored with the game 'cause I knew I could cheat. In the majority of games, beating the copy protection was more of a game then the game, so I did that. Wrote my own disassembler (and assembler ... man, when I first used a commercial macro assembler, what a revelation!) from scratch in basic. Continued to not play many many games (though I did play Tribes 2 pro in a pro league for a bit)...I now enjoy console games because cheating is more bother then the reward.

I did enjoy the crap outta Zork though. And HHGTTG, even if that damn babelfish almost drove me insane. Of course, now you could just google all the answers, you wouldn't even have to log into 10 different BBS's, so that would kinda kill a lot of the fun.

Oh ye gods and little fishes. I remember typing in games, then putting them on cassette tapes to save myself the headache of typing them again. I think the TRS-80 single handedly put me off computers through half of high school. Then came Kings Quest and no matter how many times poor King Graham died, I was hooked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:17 am 
Site Admin

JesBelle wrote:

And here I thought it had something to do with the Apocalypse. Well, if you played Wasteland, I suppose it did.

Sadly for me (but good for my productivity) the games of my youth are very very difficult to get working on modern computers. I wasted a whole weekend trying to get ECA's original gameset (MULE, Archon etc.) working under MAME without success.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:47 pm 

I think you can get Archon for the iPod.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

JB,

Oh, wow, you can! And I found a Java version of M.U.L.E. Will caesars never wonder!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
JB,

Oh, wow, you can! And I found a Java version of M.U.L.E. Will caesars never wonder!

Sorry 'bout your productivity dude. ;)