Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freecycle.org
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 am 

I have known about this site for awhile, but not until today have I really looked for anything that I really needed or wanted to give away. Has anyone else checked out this site?

Post subject: Re: Freecycle.org
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 am 

I used to use them a lot, mainly to give away items but for the odd ask (satelite mount) and we got a cover for our hottub when someone was throwing their old tub away (missed getting a back up pump though :evil: ). I used the site to give away most everything that came out of our basement reno (yes, people do actually want the 1980s light fixture, go figure) and met a neighbour down the street that way who has our old bathroom and kitchen cabinets in his laundry room now.

A great way to get rid of baby gear (if I couldn't find someone I knew who needed it) or toys the kids outgrew.

I stopped looking at our local site when it became a regular occurence for people to ask for food, diapers, grocery gift cards, rather than what I thought the purpose of the site was for - finding an alternative to throwing items out. For instance the woman who asked for paintballs gear for her boyfriend since he loved to paintball followed by a post from her asking for food and diapers for her children. Ummmm, where does he get money to paintball?

So now I am on a first name basis with the Goodwill drop-off point (uber convenient drive through location) and for larger items Habitat for Humanity will pick up. I love their ReStore, it's a great place to pick up furniture, just enough tile for a small job, etc. My friend who had to buy a place last year furnished the whole thing from the ReStore - she looked for good strong pieces and just painted them all black. Voila, matching furniture.

If you have good mods on your local Freecycle spot it can be a great community space. A bit addicting!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 pm 

I never use it, but I keep the email notifications turned on for the amusement value and the off-chance that I might unload something someone wants. There's one lady who comes on about once a month looking for someone to basically furnish her house for her.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Freecycle groups can be really cool, but each one is regionally independent. So they vary a lot. I understand Freecycle in the UK is really great ... major swap-market events and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 am 

It's very active here, and I've used it to get and give quite a bit. My favorite "find" was a CycleOps trainer I got a few years back.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 am 

Ours is pretty good as well, and we have a pretty strict moderator. We don't get a lot of goofy requests. It's more regional, since there are a lot of small towns in a widespread area. I got canning jars through them, and a really small, neat excercycle.