Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Request for Raspberry Jam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm 

Last month the Mrs. and I visited Solvang, California. I went into Olsen's Bakery.
Neat place, as with any reputable bakery they make everything they sell.

(Follow the link if you're interested and you too can get a dozen pastries for $47!) Ha!
Not affiliated, just sharing the info and proving they exist.
http://www.olsensdanishvillagebakery.com/index.html

Anyway, I bought some of their homemade raspberry jam.
It was the tastiest jam I've had in a long time.
I still have some homemade apricot, which is very good, but this raspberry just rocks!

I've searched my cookbooks, I've searched the internet and have not found the recipe that I want.
Olsen's uses fresh raspberries and some citrus, obviously some lemon and maybe lime is involved and just a hint of cinnamon, (I think).

Does anyone on the board have a raspberry jam recipe that is similar to this that they'd care to share?
Yes, I can concoct something on my own and probably get close. But before I start on it, I thought I'd ask the board.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Request for Raspberry Jam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

Here's one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:54 pm 

Thanks talanhart.
Although I did not see cinnamon in the jam, I could taste it.
Simmering the stick with the lemon makes sense.
I took the liberty of re-writing the image file into text.
It's now in my recipe archives.

Here's the text version:
Raspberry Jam

Ingredients:
4 medium lemons
1 cinnamon stick
1-1/4 cups water
3 cups raspberries
7 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 (3 oz) pouch liq pectin

Directions:
Zest lemons and place in medium sauce pan. Trim white pith from lemons and discard. Cut lemons in half and remove seeds. chop pulp and set aside.

Add water, baking soda and cinnamon to sauce pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon pulp; return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon.

In a large kettle, combine the raspberries, sugar and lemon mixture. Quickly stir in pectin and
bring to full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off any
foam. Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a
boiling water bath.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:13 am 

Thanks for this recipe.....I have some very prolific everbearing raspberry bushes and make jam all summer long. I just use the recipe in the pectin package, but this looks so much better. I cannot wait to try it. Of course, we have to have a little summer first.
Ilene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:46 am 

So I did the raspberry jam last night.
I deviated from the recipe a little, but it jelled nicely overnight.

Here's my notes:
Raspberry jam -- Savage version

Fresh Raspberries, 1 pound, 10 ounces as weighed = 5-1/2 cups
Lemons, 4 medium, zested and pithed and deseeded
Water, 1-1/4 cups
Sugar, granulated C&H, 8 cups
Cinnamon stick, 1 whole (split in two, lengthwise)
Baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon
Pectin, 3-oz package

Directions:
Zest lemons and place in medium sauce pan. Trim white pith from lemons and discard. Cut lemons in
half and remove seeds. Puree or fine chop pulp and set aside.
(Removing the seeds was more challenging than it sounds, Sliced in fourths so the looked like wagon-wheels. Removed the MANY seeds from these and mangled the lemons. Removed the center pith as well. I didn't like the wedge membranes so I put the pulp in a blender and puree'd them.)

Add water, baking soda and cinnamon to sauce pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for
20 minutes. (No alterations)

Add lemon pulp; return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove
cinnamon. (I simmered longer at low temp to evaporate the lemon mixture to a thick stock)

In a large kettle, combine the raspberries, sugar and lemon mixture. Quickly stir in pectin and
bring to full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off any
foam. Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a
boiling water bath. (I placed berries in level at the bottom so they got the HEAT first, then evenly buried them with the sugar which acted as an insulator. I let them heat up at medium for 3-5 minutes until it got bubbling hot all around the sides. Added the lemon mix and began stirring. Everything got very wet and liquified quickly. Stirred in the Pectin, Reduced heat to medium low and continued stirring about 3 minutes until sides began to foam. Turned heat off, let it rest for 1 minute to allow residual foam to rise. Skimmed off the foam and continued to skim off many, many seeds. Actually transferred half the pot through a fine wire strainer to remove a massive amount of raspberry seeds. Discarded the seeds and transferred contents to jars and continued without further alterations.)

Result: After cooling in the refrigerator, the jam firmed up nicely - as expected. Tasted versus the Olsen's batch: result was different in that Olsen's was a little tarter. I suspect my recipe has more sugar. Still very flavorful