Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mustard
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 am 

I fp'd the Guinness mustard this morning...my sinuses have not been this clear in quite some time :lol:

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am 

Funny, mine didn't have that effect. It is nice and spicy but I wasn't chased out of the kitchen. The other night I mixed some with some cranberry jam (my tranlator says cranberries but they are smaller and popular in Sweden) put it on a rack of lamb and then put on some fresh bread crumbs that I mixed with rosemary, garlic and Parmesan cheese and roasted. Quite nice

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:04 am 

marygott wrote:
Funny, mine didn't have that effect. It is nice and spicy but I wasn't chased out of the kitchen. The other night I mixed some with some cranberry jam (my tranlator says cranberries but they are smaller and popular in Sweden) put it on a rack of lamb and then put on some fresh bread crumbs that I mixed with rosemary, garlic and Parmesan cheese and roasted. Quite nice

Mary

you mean lingonberries?

It didn't chase me out of the kitchen...I just took a good whiff of it :D

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:40 pm 

Maybe that's it. They are Preiselbeeren in German and I have never seen fresh ones. We do get fresh American cranberries for a short time every year and dried ones too but they are sold as cranberries.
Mary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Preiselbeeren are lingonberries. However, they are a very close relative of the American cranberry, to the point where Germans call American Cranberries "Large-fruited Preisel Berries". Hence, the confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:21 pm 

Bumping up because I was so (sincerely) inspired by Mary. I got this book from the library today. Anyone have any experience with this or other suggestions? I really would like to try making mustards this year.

"The Mustard Book" by Jan Roberts-Dominguez

Nance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 am 

Would like a mustard master recipe with variations so you could make several different kinds at once. Also I think I would make a smaller batch as there is only so much mustard we can eat around here!

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 pm 

I made German Whole-Grain Mustard from "The Mustard Book" and it turned out fantastic! I'm so thrilled. Made almost 3 cups of mustard so I've shared quite a bit. Now I need to find the "perfect" jars, preferably 4 ounces, for gifting.

Next batch I'm trying (mixed up tonight) is Herbed Mustard with Balsamic Vinegar. This one requires 2 weeks of aging so I'll report back in a few. The recipe sounds promising.

Nance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

Reporting back on my mustard making project. I've made 9 Mustards so far: German Whole-Grain (great) , Herbed Mustard with Balsamic Vinegar (tossed - too sharp), Pesto (great), Sun-Dried Tomato (subtle and smoky), Cranberry Honey (good), Bordeaux (not sure), Green Peppercorn (tossed - didn't like), Garlic-Chile (tossed - didn't like), and Roasted Sweet Red Pepper with Cumin (still blooming). I've really enjoyed this project! But since its been hard to find affordable 4 ounce canning jars that I can use for give-aways, I've been eating ALOT of baby food, LOL! Perfect size and just .55 each, its a bargain!!
Nance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:58 pm 

Instead of tossing the ones you don't like, offer them to friends. If everybody hates them, into the trash! But I bet someone will find them just right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next