Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need glasses...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:51 pm 

After breaking most of my wineglasses, I'm in the market for new ones. I don't want to spend a ton of money, so probably no Riedel or the like. What do you recommend for a decent wineglass that I won't cry over when I eventually break it?

Also, do I really need more than 2 types of glasses (white/red)? And what shape do you prefer for the reds? (I mostly drink Italian reds and pinot noir.) I'm no oenophile, but I presume there must be something to all the various glassware shapes I see.

Thanks for your advice.

Post subject: Re: I need glasses...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 pm 

I've switched to the stemless red wine glasses at Crate & Barrel. They look lovely with the red wine in them, have ample room at the top for the wine to breath, are easy to hold, inexpensive, and are much tougher to break than glasses with stems. And if you do you can always get a replacement at C&B.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:06 pm 

I have pints, goblets, flutes, tulips, snifters, and I'm currently in the market for some weizen glasses. It's probably a good thing I haven't taken up wine as well or there'd be no room in the bar for liquor. My wine glasses consist of some cheapies from Big Lots. They are slightly rounder than they should be for whites and slightly smaller than they should be for reds. Not sure what point I was trying to make -- Oh yeah, having a different glass for every contingency is a slippery slope that ends lots of fragile things taking up valuable real estate in your house.

Miss Manners says that two wine glasses - one bigger for reds and one smaller for whites is sufficient. Something for serving champagne and/or fancy desserts is also good.

Personally, I agree with Lindsay -- cheap and ubiquitous is the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:24 pm 

Darcie,

How about the Crate and Barrel Gala 16 ounce, 8 1/4" tall, at $2.96. They are always available. [url=http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/wine-glasses/gala-16-oz.-wine-glass/s240516]Link to Crate and Barrel Gala[/url/

You might like the Crate and Barrel Viv which come in a 13" ounce, 7 3/4" and 20 ounce, 8 3/4" for the same $2.96. Link to Crate and Barrel Viv

Costco sell a set of Luigi Bormioli Symphony Break-Resistant 20 ounce, 9 3/4" stems at $3 each for a set of 8. They are pretty tall but really cheap.
Link to Bormioli Symphony

All of these glasses are clear and have nice stems and bases. The Schott Zweisel Break Resistant glasses have clunky bases.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:08 pm 

Quote:
Costco sell a set of Luigi Bormioli Symphony Break-Resistant 20 ounce, 9 3/4" stems at $3 each for a set of 8. They are pretty tall but really cheap.
Link to Bormioli Symphony

I saw those at Costco yesterday -- does anyone know what makes them break-resistant? They give off a nice ping too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm 

Thanks for the links. I'll meander over to C&B this weekend.

Lindsay, I just can't get my head wrapped around the stemless glasses. I'm sure they are wonderful but I just like the looks of stems. (Also, I have a lot invested in the racks that suspend the glasses).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:06 pm 

I have Luigi Bormioli glasses, got a dozen almost 18 years ago and still have 8. I've since bought a cheapie 2 pack at BB&B (sorry Amy) and they've also lasted well.
I have stemless martini glasses that are great for pudding and icecream presentation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm 

Geekboy suggested these.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Darcie,

I'll second the Crate & Barrel recommendation. This is the sort of thing they're useful for. You can get decent wine glasses for as little as $4 there.

In general, I suggest the cheapest good-looking wine glasses you can find -- because they're going to get broken. Knocked over, in the sink, off the shelf, whatever. And if the glass only cost you $4, you don't have to care when a guest breaks it.

I am not at all a fan of the stemless wine goblets -- they have always looked and felt dorky and awkward to me (yes, I realize I'm in the minority here). If you like stemless and indestructible, how about some cafe-style wine tumblers?

C&B has these:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-an ... rs/s511318

... but the Picardie small tumbler is a much better-looking wine tumbler:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-an ... ss/s148362

I'll also make the radical suggestion of not bothering with different glasses for red and white. Red and white wine don't really need different shaped glasses the way bubbly and fortified wines do. And who has room for all those different glasses?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 pm 

If you were in Canada I'd suggest you go to Home Outfitter's. They have boxes of 12 glasses in a variety of styles (beer glasses, highballs, coolers, and most importantly wine glasses) for $12.99. The wine glasses are similar to the Costco ones, but a smidge smaller and sturdier. I bought 3 boxes for parties, and have not regretted it. We have fancier crystal, but I use these as they are indestructabe, cheap, and dishwasher friendly. I have to admit though that for everyday, the small Reidel stemless are what we use (the Chardonnay ones). Even more dishwasher friendly. Plus they make nice juice glasses.