Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sabayon Tutorial - Hollandaise to Bearnaise
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 am 

Hmmm... One of the perks of becoming more established and easier to find.

Post subject: Re: Sabayon Tutorial - Hollandaise to Bearnaise
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:34 am 

Tatoosh wrote:
....I whisked away at the egg yolks and cold water, it foamed, we heated, continuing to whisk, and it got quite thick. I'm pretty sure it was cooked through as I was right on the edge of scrambling, seeing one small chunk of solidifying egg. Off heat for at least 30 seconds, whisking away. Then back on heat while we added clarified butter.

Steve aka Tatoosh

Paul Kierstead wrote:
I use no heat normally when whisking in the butter. The butter is warm and the sabayon is cooked already, so it will incorporate without heat. It is possible you overcooked it slightly when whisking in the butter.

Tatoosh,

Paul is correct about removing the pan from the heat while adding the butter, which is at 160 degrees. Nevertheless, you did not overcook the hollandaise or the eggs would have scrambled and remain scrambled. If you had overcooked a small portion of your yolks, that portion would have remained scrambled and never emulsified with the butter, yielding lumpy hollandaise.

You are exactly correct in seeing a section of you egg scrambling while cooking the yolks. That is a little frightening but it happens whenever I cook the sabayon on really high heat.

Proof that the egg has not been overcooked comes when all of the cooked sabayon begins to emulsify with the butter. If the egg was overcooked, the cooked portion of the sabayon will not emulsify at all.

My theory is that your separation was because a portion of your yolks were not fully cooked and separated from the emusification. (Kind of like mayoniasse which can easily separate.) The addition of boiling water completed the cooking and stabilized the final emulsification.

Tim