Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St. Valentine's Day Kitchen Massacre?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

So, what are y'all planning to cook? Or are you going out?

My sweetie and I generally go out the night before or afterwards (last night we went to Aziza), and cook on Valentine's Day. Dinner out on VD is so expensive, and the food and service are usually below average because restaurant staff hates working holidays.

Our tradition since our first on Feb. 14 1992 has been to make Valentine's Day Casserole:

This is an eggplant & tomato casserole. It's purple and red inside. And one of the first things I ever cooked for my sweetie.

Tonight we'll probably have it with spinach boregi and French silk pie.

Post subject: Re: St. Valentine's Day Kitchen Massacre?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:31 pm 

Fuzzy
It looks yummy....have a great evening
I am not cooking or going out....but making a nice deseret for dinner with friends tomorrow night.
ilene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:44 pm 

I cooked tonight sans any recipe - a big stretch for me and it was pretty damn disappointing. I made rib-end pork roast (very, very fatty. I'm really starting to dislike, no HATE, our local Price Chopper) which I seasoned simply with s/p and thyme, and roasted for 3 hours - it was wonderfully moist and tasted really good but it was way too fatty, a really shitty roast), browned cabbage (eh), one-skillet cauliflower w/cheese sauce (not as good from memory as following the original), and carmelized onions with mushrooms in a port wine reduction (sucked). So, we're having cocktails now and I'm off to make a tried and true dessert.
Hope you all had a better meal then we did!
Nancy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:33 pm 

Sweet dh is searing ahi steaks tonight. Will have with cannelini bean/pasta salad. Very easy, very yummy.

Every day with my sweetie is special!

Whatever you do, enjoy it & your loved ones!

Janet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 pm 

We are doing some Painted Hills sirloins, a huge salad with all sorts of vegetables in it, sourdough bread, and a bottle of our beloved Glass Mountain Merlot (we only have about 6 bottles left from the four, or was it five, cases we bought this fall).

Vanilla ice cream for dessert. Maybe I'll even have a tiny martini before dinner. I'd better get mixing!

Enjoy everybody. I can't wait to see where the first couple lovebirds end up, probably that swanky italian place.

eb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 pm 

Newsflash: they went to Table 52 http://www.tablefifty-two.com/ according to my sources.

eb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 am 

I made a dinner for my 3 sweethearts and it went over well. I posted this on another thread (Trader Joes) so the deets are there. (lamb kebabs and a rice pilaf). What I didn't say (and I should have taken a photo) was it looked so pretty because I used my huge white serving tray. I should have taken a photo but was rushing as I made most of the dinner one-handed as I was on the phone with my brother. This tray is the best thing for the wow appeal.
We also had a great wine to go with it. A Portuguese tinto called "Fablehaft". This is a curious wine as it has a German name the label has pictures from a German children's story (Max and Moritz). I did some research and found that Fablehaft is only available in German speaking countries but they market it with different illustrations and names in other countries. The American version is called "Twisted" and I found it priced between $17-22. We had tried this wine a couple times at different friends and really fell in love with it. We ended up buying a couple cases in the great wine buying spree of '09. Perfect with grilled meat and did very well against the lemony rice and sweet-sour meat.

Mary

PS Sorry your dinner didn't go as you wanted Nancy. There is little more frustrating than investing your time and passion into something that doesn't work out. I am sure your valentine was understanding though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Nancy,

FWIW, the frying instructions on the boregi were kind of minimal, and they turned out to be much trickier to cook than expected. So we had scortched boregi.

However, the casserole and the French silk tart turned out great; pictures later.