Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bread making tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:59 am 

Lindsay wrote:
Oh, if you don't mind, a few nits about the way the recipe was written -- ingredients should be in the order they're used and it would have been helpful to specify the size of pans needed (I used both small and medium -- the medium was a little too large)--and an estimate of baking time would have been helpful, but 35 - 40 minutes seemed to work well. Really looking forward to trying it as toast as well.

Once an editor, always an editor... :mrgreen:

btw, that's a compliment...

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 am 

Lindsay wrote:
Oh, if you don't mind, a few nits about the way the recipe was written -- ingredients should be in the order they're used and it would have been helpful to specify the size of pans needed (I used both small and medium -- the medium was a little too large)--and an estimate of baking time would have been helpful, but 35 - 40 minutes seemed to work well. Really looking forward to trying it as toast as well.

My first instinct was to say, it is bread, the order doesn't matter. And, really it doesn't. I do add the flour to the mix last though, so I moved things around to show the general order I add them. I will have to measure my pans. I think most people would think they are too small (you will see when I post pictures), but I like a big balloon top, so I use the little pans. I also hate and ignore baking times in other people's recipes, which is why you don't see one. I will time it next time I make it, though, and put it in there because I know people like to read an estimate of how long it will take (even though those are never correct).

I haven't had time to put together my photo tutorial yet, but it is coming, I promise.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am 

Re: baking times - my grandmother made me a recipe book for my wedding. She hand wrote all the recipe cards, and everything was pretty well covered - except for baking or cooking times. I recall calling her up one day to ask her how long to bake something, and she replied "until it's done." :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm 

I just finished mixing everything together. It doesn't seem very wet, kind of like a bisquit dough. Is that what I am looking for?

Also, I am going to make free form loaves. Do you think I could add rosemary to one?
TIA Kathy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm 

Taste test showed this one was a clear winner :D The color and crumb were better and the flavor was a little lighter. This bread could really accomodate some add-ins -- thinking sunflower seeds. Will post photos soon, but am really delighted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:44 pm 

Here are my three photos -- after the first rising, the second, and the baking -- I hope these looked like they're supposed to -- at any rate, it sure tastes good (the middle loaf in the last picture is higher since it was baked in the smaller loaf pan:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:37 pm 

They look great, Lindsay. What kind of sweetner did you use?
ilene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:44 pm 

Demerara -- I liked the flavor and I think it gave it a nice brownish color that added to the appeal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:12 pm 

Kathy Henry wrote:
I just finished mixing everything together. It doesn't seem very wet, kind of like a bisquit dough. Is that what I am looking for?

Also, I am going to make free form loaves. Do you think I could add rosemary to one?
TIA Kathy

It should be wetter than that. It should be wetter than you would think whole wheat bread would be. Like you need to flour the outside or wet your fingers to shape it. Did you use weight or volume?

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm 

Lindsay wrote:
Here are my three photos -- after the first rising, the second, and the baking -- I hope these looked like they're supposed to -- at any rate, it sure tastes good (the middle loaf in the last picture is higher since it was baked in the smaller loaf pan:

I usually get more oven spring than that. Like mushrooming over the sides. I promise to post pics soon.

-Anthony Bourdain

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next