Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foodie Lit
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:28 pm 

I've reserved a Kindle copy from my library; it looks like I'm #2 in line.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Admin

My sweetie picked up The Breakfast Book by Andrew Dalby thinking it was a cookbook. It's not; it's a book on the history of breakfast as a meal, so she gave it to me, since I'm into that kind of thing.

Didn't finish it. The first two chapters, which are on breakfast in the neolithic and bronze ages, are fascinating and educational, and I suspect comprise the original manuscript which was a concept for the book. However, the rest of the book is a meandering collection of historical anecdotes about breakfast from the last 4 centuries, without apparent purpose or structure. So, not recommended.

One factoid that did come out of the book, though: did you know that having 3 meals a day is a medieval concept? Folks in classical times ate either one or two meals a day. So some of those Roman feasts weren't quite as gluttonous as they appear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 am 

The Interview: Cara de Silva, In Memory’s Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin

The Book @ Amazon

NSFW The interview may leave you in tears.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 pm 

Has anyone ever read Joanna Carl? I picked up one of her books at the library today. And paid $11 in fines. ack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 pm 

She writes mysteries based on chocolate right? I've read the first 8 and enjoyed them.

I read mainly mysteries most by women authors with women as the problem solvers. I especially enjoy the cooking/baking based ones. Some of my favorites are: Diane Mott Davidson (where I learned to brine pork chops), Miranda Bliss, Cleo Coyle (about coffee), Joanne Fluke, Julie Hyzy (white house chef), Jenn McKinlay (cupcakes), Michelle Scott (wine) to name a few. There are a whole bunch more, these are the ones that have made it to my Book Collector database. Most have recipes included.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:12 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
She writes mysteries based on chocolate right? I've read the first 8 and enjoyed them.

I read mainly mysteries most by women authors with women as the problem solvers. I especially enjoy the cooking/baking based ones. Some of my favorites are: Diane Mott Davidson (where I learned to brine pork chops), Miranda Bliss, Cleo Coyle (about coffee), Joanne Fluke, Julie Hyzy (white house chef), Jenn McKinlay (cupcakes), Michelle Scott (wine) to name a few. There are a whole bunch more, these are the ones that have made it to my Book Collector database. Most have recipes included.

She does Alina, she has a new one out that was displayed at the front of the library but I headed for the older ones and only found one, not even sure which one I got. :oops: Thanks for the names, I love Joanne Fluke but DMD's books never resonated with me, I found her timelines in the characters lives to be hard to follow. I will have to look for the other ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:07 am 

I just started reading "From Scratch - Inside the Food Network (Big Personalities, High Drama - the Extraordinary Behind-the-Scenes Story)" by Allen Salkin and much to my surprise, it's really good, at the least the first 1/3 has been. Great insight into the creation of and launching of TVFN as well as the history of the talent (searches for etc) and various show ideas, good and bad. It really was run like the Wild West during the first few years.
Nancy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:39 am 

Yes, it's that time of year! The Pool opens today and I have "Delancey" by Molly Wizenburg and "L.A. Son" by Roy Choi to read. Much more to come!
Nance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:49 pm 

Update: "Delancey" is really good. A fun, quick read.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 pm 

Started our 10-day staycation this evening :D so picked up 5 more books at the library, 4 of which are food related: "Mastering the Art of French Eating" by Ann Mah, "Blue Plate Special" by Kate Christensen (looks vaguely familiar - like perhaps I attempted to read this once before), "When French Women Cook" by Madeleine Kamman, and "Egg" by Michael Ruhlman. So very much looking forward to my reading/swimming at the pool and the many summer meals I have planned for these 10 days.
Nance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next