Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foodie Lit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm 

Josh,
DH read all 3 and really, really enjoyed them. The reason I didn't read them is because I had other books I was reading from the library at the time and we had to return Kurlansky's books but thanks for reminding me of them. I will certainly add them to my list.

And Ilene, thanks once again. As you can see, this is an extension of my passion.

Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:22 am 

Ha, I just started Cod today, and am really liking it. That whole Basque history part of it is really interesting.

Has anyone used or read The Flavor Bible? Comments?? :?: I am thinking of it for my foodie friend's 50th birthday present. She is always wanting to find a class on pairing of foods and drinks. She's the one who did the CI vegetable torta, and the coconut layer cake just for fun.

Thanks,
eb

PS FUZZY can we have a book section? The categories seem so weighted towards magazines.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 am 

Two books I first read in culinary school, but reread sections of from time to time are The Food of Italy and The Food of France. They were written by Waverly Root, a journalist who was also quite the foodie. In them he manages to capture the soul of each of the regions of these countries. These books really are their own genre...part travelogue, part history book, and all passion, they give a tremendous insight and respect for the subtleties of the food of these countries. Highly recommend them...

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:26 am 

Gastronaut: Adventures in Food for the Romantic, the Foolhardy, and the Brave by Stefan Gates and Max La Riviere-Hedrick.

Nice little read- hilarious at times.

...lou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Forum name changed to "Books & Cookbooks".

EB, you do realize you can click on just the "Books & Cookbooks" forum, and see posts only about books, yes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:25 pm 

I'm reading Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" Interesting and it makes a lot of sense.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

All,

Here's another good, fun read: The Billionaire's Vinegar.

There's a mystery story involved in the book (is the Thomas Jefferson wine fake, or not?) but most of the book is devoted to an astonishing record of the antics of the world's spendiest old wine collectors, and the completely surreal world of wine collecting. You don't even have to be particularly interested in wine to like the book.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:05 pm 

Am in the midst of reading "Baking Boot Camp - 5 days of Basic Training at CIA" by Darra Goldstein and am loving it. Have to renew it to take notes. Very well written and lots of great tips. Also finally got my copy of "Immoveable Feast" from the library. Whoosh, that was a long wait.
And sorry I've been away so long. Bad 3 week flu and funk that followed. Finally getting my mojo back. The only thing I've cooked in the past 3 weeks has been hard-boiled eggs. Yup, its been, well, low. But I'm starting to feel myself again and the hints of spring are certainly a boost!
Nancy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

All,

Am currently reading "Heat", which is the story of a writer who worked in Mario Battali's kitchen and then went to Italy to learn to make pasta. It's very entertaining, and it's nice for once to read about a top chef who isn't a jerk (Batalli seems to run a fairly friendly, familial kitchen).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm 

Update. I just finished "Immoveable Feast", in one day, which has to be a record for me. Needless to say, it's a very quick read, and very enjoyable. Especially if you want to understand the nuances of living in France. The author is Australian, married to a French woman, and has travelled pretty extensively. But the book isn't about that. It's got some personal history but it's written from and with a very interesting perspective, IMHO. The meal itself is one Christmas meal that the author prepares and serves. No recipes, just food talk and quirky, interesting writing. I really liked it and would recommend it.
Nancy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next