Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foodie Lit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 am 
Site Admin

Bump.

Mimi Sheraton's Eating My Words will give you an interesting perspective on the early (as in, 50's and 60's) days of gourmet New York, when there were only a few gourmets and they all knew each other. In other hands, this would be a boring memoir, but Sheraton's talent for humor and choosing good anecdotes makes it very entertaining reading.

History of the American Stomach is a history of obsessive diets and food crazes. No, the fad diet is not a 20th-century phenominon, or even a 19th-century one.

Last Call will give you a vastly more realpolitik understanding of Prohibition and the origin of lobbying and pressure politics in America. It's also fascinating to read how many modern companies, magnates, and institutions had their origin in Prohibition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:31 pm 

I just finished "The Bucolic Plague" which is written by the same guys from the reality show "Fabulous Beekman Boys" (TLC). While not completely foodie lit I thought it was worthwhile to share because these guys from NYC bought an old farm in Sharon Springs, NY and relate their story of restoring the garden and the farm and trying to live off their land. The author, Josh Kilmer-Purcell, is also a hoot. Fast and fun read.
Nance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

I recently read The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard Morais who is an old high school classmate of my husband's. The book is about a boy's journey from India, to the UK to France (and from restaurant to restaurant). It was pretty good, great descriptions of food and cooking and the different countries. I think it lagged a bit at the end but it is still a good read. He is having a reading in May in Zürich so I am looking forward to that.

Has anyone read The Cookbook Collector? I have it on my wish list at Audible.com

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm 

Just finished "The Sweet Life In Paris" by David Lebovitz and was underwhelmed. Thought it was just o.k.a.y., borderline whiney. Could just be my mood. But it was a quick read and there are some delicious sounding recipes.

Just my 02.

Nance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:01 am 

re: Lebovitz, I haven't read the book, but his recipes tend to be good. He is very sweet and funny in person (took a course at SLT with him).
(The other) Nancy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:30 pm 

I just finished rereading Calvin Trillin's Tummy Trilogy -- still as funny as ever and great food writing. Even though he wrote it in the 70's and 80's didn't seem dated at all. If you haven't read it (it's actually three books) it's worth the time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:02 am 

"An Extravagent Hunger" by Anne Zimmerman

If you're a fan of MFK Fisher this might be a good read. I'm going to give it a try. It's reviewed in our local paper today and appears to be taken from her correspondence.

fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:25 am 

I just started reading the Grant Achatz book "life on the line...". Grabbed my interest in the first chapter so it looks like it will be a good read. I will report back when I finish it.

Nance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am 

My 10 year old is addicted to the Hannah Swensen detective series that revolve around her cookie company. We've now listened to each book and impatiently wait the next one.
Some of the recipes sound quite good (some sound horrid) but we've never tried one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:30 pm 

Jean,

I think my mom has made a couple -- one with coconut and chocolate chips (good, but the coconut is very intense, though it mellows a bit with time) and one with banana and peanut butter chips (I'm not terribly keen on peanut butter chips and the banana was barely perceptible, but Geekboy liked them).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next