Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foodie Lit
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 am 
Site Admin

More non-fiction:

The Fruit Hunters, a book about the peculiar peronalities, culture, history and commerce of the exotic fruit industry. More interesting than its quasi-19th century cover would lead you to believe. Recommended for anyone who likes oddball history, wierd travelogues, or (of course) fruit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 am 

Thanks Jesbelle. I love coconut and chocolate chip, will look on her site for which book it appeared in. We listen to the audiobooks on our way to and from home, this is alo so I can zoom over any part I think inappropriate for him (not much in those books but still) so I haven't had the patience to write the recipes down but if I know the book I can borrow and scan. She doesn't list many of the recipes on her site. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:58 am 

"Life on the Line" was very good although not written with the intent of discussing much about his style of cooking. And the story of his cancer - absolutely frightening. What a journey.

Just started "Blood, Bones & Butter" by Gabrielle Hamilton. Am loving this one too. Her writing is quick and witty. This will also be an easy read.

Nance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 am 

"Blood, Bones & Butter" was just revied today in the Denver Post...the reviewer loved it, so it is on my list.
ilene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

All,

Now, a couple books to avoid. Couldn't get more than a few dozen pages into either of these.

Ginger and Ganesh: supposed to be the story of a woman who goes on a learning-to-cook-Indian adventure. Almost no cooking described, and needs editing. Terrible recipes full of errors and omissions. Read Curry instead.

Secrets of Saffron: full of poetry and sensual prose, for people who like that kind of thing. What it is not full of is either food history or any cooking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:54 pm 

gardnercook wrote:
"Blood, Bones & Butter" was just revied today in the Denver Post...the reviewer loved it, so it is on my list.
ilene

I just checked this out of the library today as an E-Book. I have read E-Books before, but this one expires in two weeks. I am thinking that the Icon for the book will disappear and I will see a little puff of smoke on my screen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 am 

OK. this really isn't foodie lit, but I've been LOVING the Stephanie Plum number series by Janet Evanovich and thought I'd mention it. For anyone who grew up in the 60s/70s (and especially on the east coast) there's a very nostaslgic feel to the background characters. I either listen to the books on my commute or read them if my library doesn't have the cd version and I've been giggling away up and down the highway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 pm 

jeanf,

Really, if you're ever in Michigan, let me set you up with my mom for a day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:40 pm 

I read a few of those and thought they would make an excellent tv series or movie. I just read Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. One of the characters is a chef and the food descriptions are brilliant, almost torture during a long day of airplane food!
Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:05 pm 

Jesbelle, that's hilarious. Or scary...just in the case I may be actually old enough to be your mom. :) :(

Mary, the lady who reads the book (CJ Critt) is spot on with the voices. I find myself reading the books with her voice in my head now.

Back on topic, I'm struggling to get through A Year in Provence. I really want to like it....but can't get immersed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next