Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foodie Lit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:31 pm 

Finished Michael Pollan's new book Cooked while on vacation in Cabo. Really good book - only four recipes but boy did he do a lot of research and thinking. The premise is looking at cooking with fire, water, air, and earth by really exploring one recipe (pit BBQ, braising, bread, & fermentation, e.g. beer, cheese, and pickles)- but mostly it's how getting back into cooking will help you reawaken your connections - with people, the environment, yourself. The philosophy is easy to take, but really thought-provoking. I so wish I could write like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:31 pm 

There's an interesting conversation between M.P. and Ruth Reichl in the June issue of Smithsonian -- right after the page featuring the world's most adorable hipster candy-makers. There was also a great article by Roy Blount Jr. about Dwight Henry and his bakery, The Buttermilk Drop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:34 am 

I really like Roy Blount, Jr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm 

Just finished "An Embarassment of Mangoes (loved), "How The Hot Dog Founds Its Bun" (meh) and "I'll have Some Peace When I get There" by Margaret Roach, another meh. But good enough as page turners for poolside reading. Next up is "The Man Who Couldn't Eat" and "The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat". I took chances on these 2 and have no idea what to expect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm 

fitzie wrote:
I really like Roy Blount, Jr

After years of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" it was impossible not to read that article slowly, because I kept "hearing" it in his voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

auntcy1 wrote:
jeanf wrote:
Nancy, I have no food related ones but currently am reading Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish and based on this would read other books by her.

This book was beautiful JeanF!!!! I'm going to buy it as a gift for all my dear friends that I've known thru the years. This is my new "Tuesdays With Morrie". Absolutely beautiful and needs to shared amongst many. Thank you!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:12 pm 

So glad you liked it! I'm going to a market on Tuesday that has tons of used book booths and am going to look for other books by her too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 am 

I'm a big fan of Mark Bittman and just finished his book VB6 ("Vegan Before 6"), which I requested from my library in June and finally just received. Well, while it seems to be well researched, I felt he didn't provide any new or earth shattering information. It seemed to me to be more of a "book for hire" based on Bittman's recent weight loss and his adoption of this method. The idea of eating vegan before dinner to lose weight IMM isn't break through stuff. I also didn't find any recipe that was a must try. Sorry to say, this book was a long wait for little gain.
Nance

Edited to add an article from today's NYT: Vegan for a Day

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 am 

I didn't get a lot out of this book either, Nancy, but the plan really works. I got more out of one of his older books on the same subject.

fitzie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:10 am 

I just picked up from my library Nigel Slater's "Toast" and Jeremiah Tower's "California Dish". I'm hoping they'll be good entertainment for our annual Christmas trip to LA on Monday.

I'll be off-line as of tomorrow night so, Happy, Happy, and Healthy Holidays to you all!!!!

Nance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next