Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Around My French Table
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 pm 

Brining this up again because I am making the osso buco from this book on Sat for friends. I want to make a risotto of some sort with it (thinking just white wine and maybe basil or some other herb, nothing too much as I want to do the orange gremalota). I think I will do the smoked salmon waffles for starters. Everything else is up in the air so talk to me.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 pm 

I'm thinking you need some astringency to cut through the richness. Maybe a tart fruit sorbet for dessert? (Of course I am always thinking about the desserts...)

Or if you aren't doing a dessert maybe some veggies with a vinaigrette?

I'm really not good at meal planning so bear that in mind.

Edit to add: maybe something with a little crunch, too?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:51 pm 

I think "Brining this up again... " is a great typo; it sorta fits your question. :)
More to your point, I am unclear as to exactly what you are looking for as an answer because I read your question one way and Darcie answered from a different direction. Are you asking for an overall meal plan or (as I interpreted it) what to do with the risotto and the osso bucco? Thanks for putting up with my density.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:05 pm 

That's me, the typo queen :oops:

Meal plan. The osso buco recipe I have, from Around My French Table. The risotto, I don't have a recipe but can wing it (unless someone can tell me something). I want to know what to round it out with.

I like the idea of a fruit tart for dessert, although I did one for them last time they came. Can't have too many fruit tarts though. The other thing that went through my mind was baked apples or some other fruit dessert.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:24 pm 

When I made the osso bucco dinner recently, I didn't use her recipe but the one I did use (All About Braising) also had orange rind....only three one inch strips, and it was very prominent. I decided when I make it again to cut back on the orange. I served it with rissotto milanese and a lemon gremelata. I also accompanied it with steamed brocolli with lemon butter (to Darcie's point, it helped to balance out the richness). For desert, I went light....homemade macaroons, chocolate truffles, a variety of nuts and dried fruits all on a platter. My starters, while I made the rissotto were bruschetta and tapanade. Everyone hung around the kitchen while I made the rissotto nibbling on the crostini and toppings. They brought some lovely northern Italian wines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:42 pm 

I think the pan-roasted asparagus from CI would be killer; with drizzled lemon just before serving you will have the necessary acidity and the roasting marks will compliment the other colors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm 

OK here is the menu:
Starters: kir royale, smoked salmon waffles with creme fraiche, radishes
Main: Osso Buco with orange basil gremolata, champagne risotto, braised baby artichokes
Dessert: fruit salad that my husband offered to snip up, cookies from the bakery

Please note what a dim wit I am. I write one thread about the amazing artichokes on the market and on another asking for what to serve. Could you hear the reverb of me smacking myself on the forehead way across the ocean?

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:33 pm 

I believe the radishes may be too radically different (acidic and sharp) to pair well.
I believe the Champagne is much too subtle to be worth the cost; I'd either substitute a no name white to achieve the same effect or go with a bigger, oakier chardonnay that will compliment the osso bucco better.
Save the Champagne to compliment the dessert.
- That's my 2 cents three times or my 6th sense worth :) ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:52 pm 

I was going to use a prosecco (read that as cheap) as I am making the kir royales anyway. I was also wondering if I should put some mascarpone in the risotto to cut the tomato/orange flavors of the osso buco?

I was going to set the radishes and waffles as nibbles (along with some chips for the kids and perhaps a nut or olive). They are mainly my go to nibble to keep me from pigging out.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm 

Cannot wait for your review. I was so tempted to use her recipe then went for the other one. I will be curious to know if the orange is prominent or subtle.
Sounds like another lovely dinner Mary... I hope you post more pictures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next