Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Around My French Table
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 pm 

As usual Mary, your dinner looks fabulous. Given your recom
Recommendation, I will try the osso buck recipe next t'ime I make it
Ilene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 am 

Mary, looks delish! How far ahead can you make the waffles for the smoked salmon? Did they stay crispy? Did you warm them before serving?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 am 

I made them right before I served them and stuck them in a warm oven as suggested. The did not stay crisp but were very good, I think I could have left them longer on the iron but was feeling a bit rushed there in the end. I think they would also be good left whole for a brunch. I am not even a big smoked salmon fan and I really loved them.
I have been sitting here googling savory waffle recipes but haven't found anything brilliant yet.

Mary

PS You really should try this one Ilene. It made a ton of sauce. I am going to cut the rest of the meat into the sauce and serve it over noodles for dinner tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 am 

My book is sitting in the kitchen and my husband and daughter are down there shouting up recipes they want me to try. Got my money's worth on this one.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 am 

And I am back to this book again! I have made the Hurry up and Wait Chicken twice so far and it is the best I have done. My mother-in-law even asked for the recipe! :o It is more a technique than a real recipe. Basically cook the chicken on on side, then the other then breast up, cover in foil and prop up, breast pointing down, for 15 minutes. The first time I stuffed it with lemon and herbs, this time I stuck a lemon in it and rubbed herb butter over and under the skin.

I also had a scalloped potato recipe (lightened) from CI to test that everyone loved. I would be glad to share if anyone was interested. As usual a couple more bowls and a couple more steps but they claim it is 200 calories less per serving compared to the regular variety and it is plenty rich and very flavorful.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 am 

Yes, I loved the hurry up and wait chicken. If you do not want to go the looonnngg way of the Zuni chicken, then this is a very quick very good option.

I just made the pumpkin stuffed with everything good again. It was so loved that I immediately bought another pie pumpkin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 pm 

I usually never want to go the long way. I am the only pumpkin eater here (call me Peter Peter) so that recipe will have to wait for another lifetime.
I did get them to eat butternut squash chili (beans and bulghur and not one bit of meat Frank) so there may be hope.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:16 am 

Well you'd be surprised. I have never liked one pumpkin based item until this. I only made it because I was cooking through the book. My kids even ate it. I think this recipe can turn dislikers into fans... I am still not there on butternut squash, except in one buttermilk spice cake from Fine Cooking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 pm 

Another hit. I made the vegetarian pot au feu and I really loved it. Veggies cooked in a broth flavored with garlic lemon grass and orange zest, topped with a poached egg and a parsley mint coulis. I thought I was on my own tonight but my daughter was here too and she pronounced it "cozy food". Something for you Fuzzy!

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:08 am 

Love your photos Mary! Your radish presentation is so vibrant and beautiful.

I am intrigued by those salmon waffles!!!

Too bad my Borders closed, I would love to flip through this cookbook.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next